Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #322  
From cab cam on 1st race pace lap at 5:24, checker at 14:45. Good race coverage. This is from 2018, a race thing since the early '90s in OZ. Texas too if you didn't expect it.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #323  
We adults collectively have to decide the balance of how much the things we might enjoy are worth, compared to the world we want to leave for our kids and grandkids. There are so many things I'd like to affect to be better for them, and cannot. But, I can control how efficiently I burn fuel, and how badly I need to burn it. So I choose small, and small engined vehicles for getting around, and ride my bicycle as much as I can. I choose to no longer watch entertainment which apparently pollutes our planet. it's what I can do for them, for whatever positive effect it may have!

Whether by human effect, or natural evolutionary climate change, the world is getting warmer, that I understand first hand, for certain. As it continues, people are suffering more and more in many ways we did not imagine as recently as 50 years ago. I choose to be more a very small part of a partial small solution, than continue to be a very small part of the problem.
I guess we wont REALLY know until time for science and research shows irrefutable proof as to who/what caused warming, MAN or NATURE.
So now we are to embark on destroying the Internal Combustion engine, a miracle of science that revolutionized the world, and continues to do so, for electric vehicle propulsion AND shut down fossil fuel plants in favor of solar and wind.
It will cost trillions in development and the benefits are still very debatable. At a time when our country is circling the drain in debt to the point that we are VERY vulnerable, I for one, wold like to see a lot more proof that we need to spend trillions in taxpayer money confiscation and a lot of our own personal wealth, to fund this “revolution”.
Theres gaping holes in the EV revolution.
Traffic jam stalling problems
City dweller ownership problems
Range problems
Infrastructure support problems
Dealership support/servicing problems
Cost of ownership for poor folks problems
Lack of avaiability for commercial use problems

Last edited:
   / Big Cars are killing Americans #324  
Not sure it's gonna matter if someone in a wheelchair gets hit by a Smart Car or an F250 at 20-30 mph. Maybe the author and OP can do some research and get back to us. Scrolling on now.
LMAO

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #325  
@big bubba
Good Sir, This is really stupid. Cars CANNOT kill people by themselves. Rather what kills people is the operator of the vehicle. It Does not matter the size of the car. I can Drive a F650 Dump truck with a 32 foot trailer and be just as safe as someone driving a kia sorento, or a smart car. This argument is weak. The operator is in control of the vehicle, the vehicle cannot drive into someone without operator input. Think about it this way, people want to ban the very popular AR-15 rifle. The rifle is not what kills people. The rifle can't kill anyone without an operator. The thing that kills is the person who pulls the trigger. With nobody behind it, it can't kill anyone.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #326  
@big bubba
Good Sir, This is really stupid. Cars CANNOT kill people by themselves. Rather what kills people is the operator of the vehicle. It Does not matter the size of the car. I can Drive a F650 Dump truck with a 32 foot trailer and be just as safe as someone driving a kia sorento, or a smart car. This argument is weak. The operator is in control of the vehicle, the vehicle cannot drive into someone without operator input. Think about it this way, people want to ban the very popular AR-15 rifle. The rifle is not what kills people. The rifle can't kill anyone without an operator. The thing that kills is the person who pulls the trigger. With nobody behind it, it can't kill anyone.
Yep

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #329  
   / Big Cars are killing Americans #330  
I guess we wont REALLY know until time for science and research shows irrefutable proof as to who/what caused warming, MAN or NATURE.

We know that burning fossil fuels is a part of the reason for climate change, the proportion of man vs nature is not precisely known, but it's not none. The effect that we can each have on reducing climate change is minuscule, but it is not none. Internal combustion engines will be with us for a long time to come, as in some applications there is no practical alternative - yet. But, the move to reduce "lifestyle only" emissions, smaller more efficient personal vehicles, and electric vehicles where they are practical will help, at least a minuscule amount, and it will redirect society's priorities over time.

I come from aviation, we love big snarky piston engines. But, that time has passed. I know that needless consumption of fuel harms the climate, and I know that the climate is changing because it is being harmed. I see reports if worsening wild fires, rain storms, and I understand the dangers of sea level rise for some population groups. Where I live, those effects are minor on me, but not so for friends, they're suffering!

So, if I need to carry six people, and haul 10,000 pounds all the time, I'll buy a big pick up truck with those capabilities - it's justified. But, I don't. So I choose a small turbo diesel car, a small diesel tractor, ride my bike it it's practical, and otherwise don't burn fuel if I don't need to! To be honest, I still own a plane, which burns 8 gallons on hour, and I hardly use it. I enjoy my JD tractor, and excavator, which burn 2 gallons a day much more! It'll be a long time before piston engines are gone, but needlessly big should be a thing of the past....