big radial sidewall damage repair

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #1  

fitterski

Gold Member
Tractor
1987 Cat-426, 1991 Deutz-Dx-6.05, 2019 Husqvarna 2xHP
I came upon this video which I don't think I'd want to undertake

but I do have a bucket-tooth victim in the form of a relatively low-pressure Michelin 440/65R28 (front on a Deutz Dx-6.05). The damage is in the form of a flap that's hanging and is about 4" wide by 6" long. The backhoe boom bucket tooth went down on the side of the inflated tire. The tire is off the rim and I'm looking for a (more north american) method with or without some form of a kit. I've been told that I could basically just take a piece of good thick sidewall and contact cement it inside with 10" of overlap all around, period. It sounds like it might work but I figure there might be slightly more reliable methods too.

Thanks for any (procedure/materials) pointers.

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #2  
I see he's wearing his safety squints and his hold your breath respirator. As well, his buddy is getting his toenails polished. I would not want to be within 100' of that bomb ever once it's got over 10lbs in it.
I must admit it's a fantastic camo job.

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #3  
Can you tube the tire?
/edit - AFTER structural repair of course.

Last edited:
   / big radial sidewall damage repair #4  
Can you tube the tire?
/edit - AFTER structural repair of course.
Yep. Id just grind the repair on an angle so the tube won't see any corners can you get a liner for the rim ?

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #5  
I have patched bike tires by gluing a piece of donor tire or tube inside the casing but it seems pretty sketchy for a tractor tire. Hit a rock at the right part and that contact cement will rip free. A tube would help but not prevent that.

If you do it you will need a piece of donor tire that's really smooth on the surface you will glue down. If its embossed or the profile does not match the glue joint will be weak. You'll also need a way to put pressure on the joint while the glue is curing.

If you can afford a tire that will be a better option.

/ big radial sidewall damage repair
Wow, I didn't know about these replies, thanks gang!!! Somehow I'm not getting the email notices, maybe I've been blacklisted again by the anti-spam gestapo.

I found an almost identically worn tire, working on getting it shipped BUT now that I have stepped into the topic I might as well learn how to fix the ripped one so I think I will patch it from the inside (I use use tubes in ALL TIRES because of little use often leading to deflation especially in winter!). Gotta find the biggest galvanizing patch kit around.

As for the poor slobs in the video: what do you do when you live in a shoe? Some sweat-shop creep employs them for a banana a day and if they so much as get sick or dare say ANYTHING they're out! I'll be the last one to judge them, been there myself and not even overseas!

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #7  
Industrial tire repair shop up the road will grind out the bad and vulcanize a patch in the tire. They do it all the time on $10,000 tires and on cheaper tires. Quarries and dirt movers have expensive tires that a few hundred to a thousand dollar patch is cheaper than a new tire. If you do not have a tire repair shop nearby maybe you can find thread reinforced patches?

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #8  
Here you go;
GlueTread
1694963417799.png

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #9  
that tire is prob with a whole years salary in that country.

/ big radial sidewall damage repair #10  
I came upon this video which I don't think I'd want to undertake

but I do have a bucket-tooth victim in the form of a relatively low-pressure Michelin 440/65R28 (front on a Deutz Dx-6.05). The damage is in the form of a flap that's hanging and is about 4" wide by 6" long. The backhoe boom bucket tooth went down on the side of the inflated tire. The tire is off the rim and I'm looking for a (more north american) method with or without some form of a kit. I've been told that I could basically just take a piece of good thick sidewall and contact cement it inside with 10" of overlap all around, period. It sounds like it might work but I figure there might be slightly more reliable methods too.

Thanks for any (procedure/materials) pointers.
I would not be afraid to use that tire on a tractor at all. It might be a little unbalanced at high road speeds but that was an amazing repair.