BIG ROCK PROBLEM????

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM???? #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
OK guys and gals, see what kind of method you can come up with to move this rock back away from the water about 10 feet so I can reset it level in the same postion it is now. Problem: ROCK approx. 8 tons. Equipment available: Caterpillar 287 track skid steer (4.5 ton ), Caterpillar 308CCR excavator (8 ton machine) and a JD 3520.
Also the rocks end is at the right hand edge of the pic, behind it is level grassy area so there isn't a problem with getting a machine or to there.

And don't anyone suggest renting a D9 or blowing it up with dynamite.

I took a pic of me on it to give you some scale.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/bike pic/P1010909.jpg

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM???? #3  
Jack it up, put down some timbers, add rollers, attach a 8 shiv. block and tackle, anchor it and start pulling.:D

Don't stand under it when jacking. Maybe make some cribbing to support it.:D

Don't need those machines at all.

Last edited:
   / BIG ROCK PROBLEM???? #4  
Do you have allot of logs, some chains and a few friends to run your equipment?

I'd dig up all around it and see if you can lift part of it enough to get a log under it. Then dig a ramp to get it up and out of the ground, or dig a trench to where you need it to go.

Then get the chains around it and pull with which every one of your machines has the most power and traction. If that's not enough, put another machine in front of the first one and pull with both. Keep adding vehicles until you can get it moving.

When it starts to move, put more logs under it and continue until you get it where you want it. If the Egyptions did it with people power, you shouldn't have too much trouble with all your tractors.

Good Luck,
Eddie

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM????
egon, I rolled it into place on several round treated fence post, but they pretty much splintered to pieces. I had it setting real nice and level. Now its settled into the current postion and I need to rethink the whole thing once I get it rolled back out of the way.

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM????
Eddie, now your thinking. Good idea about digging the trench. I just might be able to get it slightly down hill. Gravity would help tremendously. Do you think a lot of butter would help? hahahaha

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM???? #7  
I was shocked at the size of the rock I could move with a 7500Lb L39 Kubota's BH. I kind of picked one end up a bit and swivel and crab it around. I was afraid that rock would slide too far and cream the L39 stabilizers!

I would think the Cat 308 would be able to move this. The other machines haven't a chance. Dig a trench behind the rock and pull it toward the trench. Repeat this several times and I bet you will be able to slide it if it is really only 8 tons.

I'd love a Cat 308!

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM???? #8  
I'll bring my BX23 over and take care of it for you in no time, (just making fun of another thread):D. But seriously, there is a product called Dexpan, which is an expanding cement. You drill holes, pour it in, wait a day, and it cracks the rock pretty well. From there a rented jack hammer will do the rest. I removed a bunch of large rocks with it a couple of years ago and was impressed with it. It is a bit expensive, but it might do the trick for you. Here's a link.
Dexpan Non-Explosive Demolition Agent

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM????
When we loaded the rock on a roll off truck to get it to my place I hooked onto it with a D8 and 20 foot 5/8ths chain. Took the slack out real easy. Let off of the decel pedal and the chain popped like a rubber band. Had to push it onto the rolloff with the D8.

The rock still chained on the truck.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...TES POND ROAD BUILDING AND OTHER/P7100265.jpg

The rock was facing the other direction on the rolloff so we spun it around with the cat 308ccr while it was still loaded on the truck.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...TES POND ROAD BUILDING AND OTHER/P7100269.jpg

Thanks to Josh Miller of Miller Trucking for making it happen.

/ BIG ROCK PROBLEM????
Ken, I'm sure the dexpan works great, but I hauled this rock in! The rock isn't the problem its that it settled in and now I need to move it so I can reset it in a level position just about where it is now. If I had given it a little more forthought I probably should have poured a concrete footer for it to set on.

Thanks for the help though.