Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning...

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #71  
I would do some research before buying it. I've bought all of my tractors from a dealer and was confident they weren't stolen.
Many people buy used tractors from private parties.
I have bought two that way.

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #72  
Many people buy used tractors from private parties.
I have bought two that way.
Sounds good. This thread seems to have been sidetracked. The OP was in reference to a trailer? Do you buy trailers without a title?

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning...
Don’t want to mislead

14.000. Introduction. Under the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) program, most trailers are issued a PTI plate and a permanent identification card rather than a regular trailer plate and registration card.

All my trailers have regular plates and titles as they predate the change…

Registration is for intervals of 5 years…

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #74  
Sounds good. This thread seems to have been sidetracked. The OP was in reference to a trailer? Do you buy trailers without a title?
Of course not!

Titles, and whether they are required or not, would seem to be the issue, rather than trailers v/s tractors.
The primary purpose of a title for any wheeled vehicle is to protect the buyer.

Trailers require a title in most states!
In the USA, tractors unfortunately do not require a title, or registration, because not meeting highway safety requirements, they cannot be registered for roadway use!
In some states however, tractors as well as trailers, can use a farm plate, for local transport.

Last edited:
   / Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #75  
All my trailers have regular plates and titles as they predate the change…
I recently talked to a Big Tex dealer in Nevada County, CA. He has had 6 brand new trailers stolen from his lot over the past few years. None ever recovered.

As a test, he took an obviously factory built trailer to the local DMV. He said it was homemade, and asked to register it with a new title and documents. DMV employee quickly agreed.

He is convinced all his stolen trailers got easily re-titled as homebuilts.

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #76  
In some states yes. CT does not provide titles for trailers under 3,000 lbs. I registered a new trailer, sent in the manufacturer's title, and all I get was a registration and a notice that no title is provided for small trailers. But I registered a 14K trailer a month ago, and they mailed me a title.

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #77  
In some states yes. CT does not provide titles for trailers under 3,000 lbs. I registered a new trailer, sent in the manufacturer's title, and all I get was a registration and a notice that no title is provided for small trailers. But I registered a 14K trailer a month ago, and they mailed me a title.
That does seem to be the common situation here in the Northeast.

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #78  
I imagine the trailer is hauling storm debris in Louisiana.

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #79  
So many big items I thought to add serial or reg numbers to, exposed or hidden, with a bead of weld. I wonder how many states or underwriters care to insure trailers. Read any policy that you think covers your stuff, there can be a lot or not in the fine print.

Example: I had Allstate until the early '90s and they covered two deer collisions. (Since then they have become among the worst at paying claims, weaseling out, bouncing checks, stalling, etc.) Two yrs ago neighbor hit a deer and was worried about insurance. Full coverage? No prob, right? Called Farm Bureau and was told full coverage never includes car/deer collisions. Full of something, I say. A policy is only as good as the company that backs it.

/ Big Tex Dump Trailer stolen from ranch early this morning... #80  
i just keep up my insurance, and dont worry about anything
Thanks to the posts mentioning insurance, I decided to call my auto agent. I must admit, It was what I consider low cost for protection. I should have done that when I purchased the trailer. The price was - at $500 deductible - 13.20 for 6 months. I added $100 deductible for $23 per 6 months. Sure saves a lot of worry. Thanks