Big Wood - Small Tractor.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Ok... I have small SCUT (MF GC 1715) and its to small for Fermi style logging winch, and the little pipsqueak does not even have power (PB) beyond at rear though MF sales brochure said it was available as an"option" ...

So what do people do for clearing wood/dragging out with small tractor... I have thought of a PTO driven capstan winch for dragging out wood from locations where not practical to try and take tractor into... Discarded idea as to easy to get caught up into rope and maybe get caught up in capstan...And need for expensive quality rope than can handle the loads... Yes safeguards could be built in to instantly shut off engine, but that is not the real issue....

Amount of wood to be moved does not justify designing and build a mini "logging winch" to fit 25 HP SCUT... Considered electric winch but they are battery killers, proved that with 10,000 lb. winch on a 4000 lb. Jeep.... Maybe a 2500 lb. ATV winch but still battery killer only slower... Also small battery capacity and only 40 AMP alternator (I believe) make limited "power source"...

So far I have resorted to just chain and just dragging out pieces but then again it's a issue of how close I can get to logs, how far I can travel in one direction and how long my chain is...

Also considering putting a bracket on front of tractor so I have something to attach chain to other the eye on FEL... Does anybody "back out" of woods while dragging logs out???

So far kind of in the dark for any more ideas....

Dale

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #2  
I don't do much in the way of logging. I built and use this when I can get to the logs.

Attachments

• KIMG2907.jpg
    KIMG2907.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 578
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 541
   / Big Wood - Small Tractor. #3  
Several hundred feet total of various cable lengths, and snatch blocks. Set the blocks so you can drive along a road or trail, and pull the logs to the road. Sometimes rigged for doubling the pull.

I used a Jeep for years, now a Kubota BX. Firewood logging. Logs up to 20 inches or so diameter. Flat or slightly downhill pull.

Bruce

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #4  
Id use JP' method if you can get to the logs. If not, Bruce's method. Pulling logs out by way of backing up would be easy enough if you supply enough weight on the back of your tractor in proportion to the log.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #5  
JPRambo has the right idea. I use a 9000 pound winch and a marine battery to load equipment onto my gooseneck. I recharge it at night with a trickle charge after 4-5 pulls. I would think that would be enough to make it through a day in the woods. And then use the logging cart to get the log to the house.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #6  
I wouldn't think a 25hp tractor is too small for a regular skidding winch. Here is my Igland mounted on my previous tractor...a 33hp New Holland. It did just fine, and is real handy for skidding out smaller stuff. IF you can justify the cost for the amount you'd use it, buy one.

enhance

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #7  
Andy might be on to something. Check out the Igland 2001 winch. 38" tall, 35" wide and 14" depth. Weight 198 pounds.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #10  
1) So far I have resorted to just chain and just dragging out pieces but then again it's a issue of how close I can get to logs, how far I can travel in one direction and how long my chain is...

2) Also considering putting a bracket on front of tractor so I have something to attach chain to other the eye on FEL... Does anybody "back out" of woods while dragging logs out???

1) What is your tractor attachment point? A $30 to $63 Cross-Drawbar will allow you to safely elevate the load safely about 6". Often 6" lift reduces friction between the log and ground by 50%. I have a Ken's Bolt On chain grab hook bolted to my cross drawbar.

CROSS-DRAWBAR: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...rs-cross-drawbars-illuminated.html?highlight=

VENDER: 3 Point BX Trailer Hitch Compact Tractor Kubota Handy Hitch Attachments 89581383465 | eBay

2) I speculate half of the tractors discussed here have chain grab hooks bolted or welded on the FEL bucket.

Chain grab hooks are highly useful for teasing logs out of thick underbrush, as you add vertical plane to potential maneuvers, however imprudent use could leave your FEL involuntarily parted out.
Ample Three Point Hitch counterbalance advised.

KEN'S BOLT-ON HOOKS: Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Bolt-On>>

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.06.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.06.48 AM.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00133.JPG
    DSC00133.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 61559.jpg