Bigger HST machines.

/ Bigger HST machines.
Isn't that kind of the divider between utility and Ag tractors?
Depends on what you define as ag.

There was a time when 25hp 2500 pound machines were ag machines.

Now a days....especially in the Midwest.....I don't know anyone that considers anything less than a 6000-7000 series Deere's as ag machines.

Last time I was in the local boys dealer.....they had a m5660. Loved the looks, size, and front tires. I thought man that would be perfect if HST. And the local farmer here just got a 5075 Deere for mowing some of the smaller waterways that he cannot get the 7430 and batwing into. Another machine id consider as perfect....only of it had a hst

/ Bigger HST machines. #12  
An IVT or CVT transmission will work much like the hydo's the AGCO ones seem to be more intuitive to operate.
Also a power shift with a left hand reverser will out perform a hydro.
There are a few larger Ag hydros the IH's have been off the market for many years the older 86 and 26 series.
However the New Holland and Versatile bi-directional tractors were hydos and they are newer then the IH's.

/ Bigger HST machines. #13  
Combines use HST on 300+HP machines. So it is doable.

/ Bigger HST machines. #14  
Yanmar has this 59 hp tractor with a new type of
transmission almost like two transmissions in one YT3 Series | YANMAR Tractor

willy

Last edited:
   / Bigger HST machines. #15  
HST has more losses, can’t run at a truly consistent speed (for spraying, seeding, etc), overheats with constant PTO field use (due to the inherent inefficiency….energy is given off as heat). What use case do you have for a HST for field work?

/ Bigger HST machines. #16  

I mow probably 300-400 acres a year with an 8' cutter. And while sometimes I wish for more power with my MX5100....I often times find myself wishing for a physically larger machine.
A geared MX5100 wouldn't give you the feeling of needing more HP that the HST MX5100 gives you.

/ Bigger HST machines. #17  
HST has more losses, can’t run at a truly consistent speed (for spraying, seeding, etc), overheats with constant PTO field use (due to the inherent inefficiency….energy is given off as heat). What use case do you have for a HST for field work?
Exactly. Plus a HST tractor can barely move on High range, even on flat places, as proven several times here on TBN, so that alone pretty much rules out the HST on bigger tractors. That alone would be a no no for driving on the road, let alone pull a trailer full of hay or logs or something.

/ Bigger HST machines. #18  
We have a M7060 on the cattle farm and I have my M62…so we have a pretty decent perspective. My M62 is awesome for lots of things, and better than the 7060 in many ways. But mowing, harrowing, plowing, raking, tedding, spraying, seeding…no way. I would take the 7060 over it in a heartbeat. Even with a cruise control….there is no comparison For these tasks.

/ Bigger HST machines. #19  
Combines use HST on 300+HP machines. So it is doable.
Combines don't earn their keep by applying horsepower to tractive effort. A better argument would involve high hp hydrostatic drive dozers. But they spend 50% of their time backing up and accomplishing very little. Hydrostatic transmissions lack the efficiency the market demands in applications where high duty cycles and high drawbar loads exist. So nobody builds them.

/ Bigger HST machines. #20  
Combines don't earn their keep by applying horsepower to tractive effort. A better argument would involve high hp hydrostatic drive dozers. But they spend 50% of their time backing up.
Agreed. But I am not arguing just pointing out it can be done. I personally prefer geared tractors.