Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this?

/ Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this? #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
From the BIOSET website:

Bioset, Inc., founded in 1995, is a Houston, TX company, which markets, manufactures and operates the BIOSET Process for the production of Class A/EQ material and sludge odor control. The BIOSET Process is described and protected by U.S. Patent number 5,635,069, U.S. Patent number 5,868,942, and other patents pending.
The BIOSET Process is operating in many areas of the United States at wastewater plants ranging in size from 0.1 MGD to over 20 MGD. The equipment needed to operate the process is supplied on mobile trailers or engineered for permanent installations. The original BIOSET Process facility, located in Houston, has been producing Class A/EQ material since 1995. The technology produces a low odor, sterile material meeting Environmental Protection Agency standards for producing Class A/EQ biosolids.

Municipal wastewater facilities have used the BIOSET Process from engineering and operating services directly provided by Bioset, Inc. or from services provided by Bioset's partnerships with engineering and operating firms.

Bioset, Inc. also markets and distributes the Class A/EQ biosolid material produced from the BIOSET Process. This material, known as NaturaLime is an established, value added, lime replacement in the agricultural market and as a fertilizer for turf farming.

* NaturaLime is a Lime-enhanced soil conditioner. It is the dried, Class A (40 CFR Part 503) product generated from the Bioset Process. It is also processed through a soil shedder and screened for size uniformity.

* NaturaLime is tan in color, with uniform granule size, and no unpleas-ant odors. It is approximately 40% hydrated lime and 60% inert matter and organic humus. It does not attract flies or other vectors.

* The high concentration of hydrated lime in NaturaLime gives it significant benefits. Hydrated lime reacts quicker than agricultural lime. Therefore, the pH adjustment of the soil can occur in 60-90 days from application, versus one to two years with agricultural lime. Because of this quick reaction time and high pH, smaller quantities maybe required.

* NaturaLime contains up to 60% inert matter and humus-like materials that increase the ability of the soil to store nutrients and water. It also improves the soil texture. NaturaLime makes a superior soil-conditioner and pH adjuster for many types of soil.

I have a tractor-trailer dump truck, and I just delivered 100 tons of this to a customer in central Louisiana. He had been using chicken litter (manure), but we are having trouble getting that. I can get plenty of the NaturaLime product.

I plan to try some on one of my meadows, but it will be next year before I know how much good it does. BTW, the soil in my area typically needs 1-2 tons of agricultural lime per acre every 3-5 years. Since this material is 40% hydrated lime, it should eliminate the need to apply ag lime.

Anyway, has anyone else tried this stuff, and how well did it work?

/ Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this? #2  
I know there is some concern of heavy metals in using municipal waste sludge versus using domestic waste from septic tank cleaning. Don't know if this has any effect on the manufactured fertilizer. NH wants any land to be posted and abutters notified and possibly a hearing before spreading. plowking

/ Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this? #3  
I just had 100 ton of Ag lime delivered and spread for $14.50 a ton. That should bring my pH from the high 5's to the high 6's. I should need to reapply in about 5 years depending on how much Nitrogen I put down. How does your product compare?

/ Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this? #4  
My knowledge of chemistry is woeful -- how I managed to pass two semesters of college chemistry remains a mystery.* Thus, I am not qualified to speak on the lime's chemical properties. However, a friend who is a retired manager of a fertilizer distributor told me that although the lime in question does raise soil ph quickly, the increase is short-lived and more frequent applications are required.

Steve

I do remember that Avogadro's number is big.:)

/ Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this?
PK,
Thanks for the reply.
That must be a state statute. No restriction down here, that I'm aware of. Our state DEQ just wants the location of delivery on the manifest. But, even the farmers have to do that, if they spread manure on someone else's land.
Bioset's chemical analysis shows all metal content to be well below allowable concentrations.

I just had 100 ton of Ag lime delivered and spread for $14.50 a ton. That should bring my pH from the high 5's to the high 6's. I should need to reapply in about 5 years depending on how much Nitrogen I put down. How does your product compare?

That's cheap for ag lime. Depending on freight, you're looking at two or three times that amount here.

With a soil pH of 5-6, they're recommending an annual application rate of 2 tons per acre.

However, a friend who is a retired manager of a fertilizer distributor told me that although the lime in question does raise soil ph quickly, the increase is short-lived and more frequent applications are required.

True. But, I think that's the point. The NaturaLime product is quick-release lime and fertilizer. You get both every time you apply it. You would be adding lime every year.
According to Bioset, the calcium carbonate equivalency is about 31-34%, or roughly 1/3.

/ Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this? #8  
Bigfoot62
How much does Bioset NaturaLime cost per acre at your application rate?

/ Bioset NaturaLime (lime and processed sewer plant solids) Anyone using this? #9  
Here in Ky there are differences in "rock" or "lime" type from quarry to quarry and "crush" quality, or "fineness" or particle size. Small size reacts faster but doesn't last as long and likewise bigger particle reascts slower but lasts longer. 2 to 3 ton per acre every 5 years is normal here and I have gone as high as 5 ton acre. I have seen lower quality lime during the off season for $2 a ton.

Bigfoot62
How much does Bioset NaturaLime cost per acre at your application rate?

Jim, it really just depends on the freight. I figure my trucking at $3/mile. (round-trip)
The material is under $10/ton, and it's very light, as long as it's dry. 25 tons fills up a 36 cubic yard trailer. (trailer measures 8'x30'x5')
So, a 25 ton load, delivered 100 miles from the pickup point would run $850. At 2 tons per acre, that would be $68/acre.