Bird, air ratchet question?

/ Bird, air ratchet question? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Hi,

Other day needed tool, decided that it was finally time to get ratchet. Ended up with I/R 3/8". I didn't pay attention to the model number though they had 2 and I got the ~100.00 one instead of the $50. My desire was to get a 1/2" drive but they didn't have one and unfortunately, time was an issue.

I only glanced at ratchet, but would the 3/8 drive head be removable and switchable with the 1/2"? If so, any idea on what kinda cost, if so, any idea where I can obtain one?

I don't care if I lose some torque, I just rather keep this in line with the rest of the tools and be 1/2"

Thanks
Richard

/ Bird, air ratchet question? #2  
Richard, on many (but not all) ratchets, you can simply replace the anvil with either 3/8" or 1/2" drive. Give me the model number and I'll tell you for sure whether yours can be changed, and give you the part number.

Richard, after I posted this message, I went out to the shop to work on some tools and checked the Ingersoll Rand catalog (I very seldom see a ratchet with a 1/2" drive) and found that the model 107 and 109XP are the only ones they list both 3/8" and 1/2" drives for. Those are the 3/8" model numbers and if you put the 1/2" drive in them, they are then called 1077 and 1099XP. Incidentally, that square drive that you put the socket on is called an "anvil" unless it's a Snap-On product, then they call it a "drive body" and charge twice as much for it./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 10/13/00 11:09 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Bird, air ratchet question?
Called home, got my ill better half to traipse downstairs and find it. (wonder what SHE was feeling during this.../w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif ) /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif (honestly, I'm not that callus, she didn't mind)

Ingersall Rand, 107-XP

Again, thanks.

/ Bird, air ratchet question? #4  
Well, Richard, wouldn't you know it? You caught me short. The 107XP is a new one that I don't have a parts breakdown on yet, but I've got to call my supplier Monday morning to order parts for a 107 (and some other tools) so I'll get them to fax me a parts breakdown. The 107 "Heavy Duty" is a single pawl model with springs and ball bearings providing the head tension and the 1/2" anvil is part number 1077-44, but the 109XP "Super Duty" is a dual pawl model with a concave washer to provide the head tension and the 1/2" anvil is part number 1099-44. Since they've come out with the 107XP "Super Duty", I know that it is one that is also available as the 1077XP with 1/2" anvil, but I don't yet know the part number. When you bought it, there should have been a manual in the box with an exploded view and parts breakdown (most mechanics throw it in the trash with the box as soon as they take the tool out of the box). At any rate, you definitely can change it, it ought to be a fine tool for many years, and I'll get back to you Monday.

Bird

/ Bird, air ratchet question? #5  
Richard, I got a parts breakdown this morning on the new IR107XP. You can change it to an IR1077XP (1/2" drive) by changing the anvil to a 1077XP-44 and the thrust washer to a 1077-46. You can probably find an air tool repair facility in your neighborhood in the yellow pages that can do the job in just a few minutes if they have the parts on hand.

Changing to the 1/2" drive will not affect the torque rating.

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 10/16/00 10:25 AM.</FONT></P>

Thank you for your information and effort. It's appreciated. I was given some dudes number in Chattanooga by IR. He said if I could bring it on by (90 miles) WITH my receipt, he could/would change it out under warranty!!

I brought it to work today, I'm going to call him, see if it is still a good offer and maybe mail it to him instead.

I DID buy a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter for it, I just think that's a lame way for me to do it, I'd rather do it "right".

Richard

/ Bird, air ratchet question? #7  
Richard, if you'd bought it originally with the 1/2" drive, Ingersoll Rand's suggested retail price is $10 more for the 1/2" drive model (see http://www.irtools.com). If you were just buying a new anvil, they usually cost around $20 (plus or minus $5) and the factory authorized service centers I'm familiar with have a miniumum labor charge of $15 to $17.50 (I charge my customers $10). Of course, the guy you've talked to knows he'll have a lot more calls for the 3/8" anvil than the 1/2" one, so if it's still new, he'll be able to sell it (unless of course Ingersoll Rand will authorize it as warranty and he'll still get paid that way).

Bird

Well, the muddy waters cleared a bit. I called him back to verify the comment he made. Seems if I want the 3/8 anvil switched with a 3/8, THEN it's warranty work. Since I am looking to have it upped to 1/2", it isn't and he has to charge me. I'm still wondering WHERE I was vague when I was talking to him about the 1/2" anvil. Since it was clear that was my goal, why would replacing it with a 3/8 even come up?? (sheesh)

/ Bird, air ratchet question? #9  
Richard, some folks do manage to break them while they're still in warranty, and you know us humans have a tendency to hear what we're listening for (or see what we're looking for), so he probably thought you had broken it instead of hearing what you were saying./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird