Bird seed food plot test

/ Bird seed food plot test #11  
Watch out for bird seed with thistle having a field of that would not be fun:)

/ Bird seed food plot test
I don't mind the Millet, but I could have blended a higher variety of different seed if I had waited. This field will have a 2 fold purpose, graze for deer and birds and then helping with erosion until the fall plot goes in.

Ron, your right on the old tires, now they almost charge for taking the old tires as much as they charge for Mount and balancing.!

Forge, I'll take the thistle over "careless weed" any day:laughing:

/ Bird seed food plot test #13  
Here is the photo of the tires, crude, but works fantastic. I hook it to my draw bar, the set of 2 tires closest to the rear of the tractor.

If we get the rain their predicting, I may loose allot of seed, we'll see.

I made the same tire drag a few years back. I added a hunk of Chainlink fence to the bottom. Works way too good.

I made the same tire drag a few years back. I added a hunk of Chainlink fence to the bottom. Works way too good.

Thats what I also have done when the place we had, had such a high level of black clay, the wire really helps break the clods down. Where I live now it is sandy loam with deeper clay.

/ Bird seed food plot test #15  
Could work for a weedy dove field, but no good for a deer plot. About any seed (sunflower, browntop, dove proso) for a proper dove field is only ~$20/acre.

/ Bird seed food plot test #16  
I tried bird seed one year and was very happy at how well it came in. Unfortunately, nothing ate any of it.

Eddie

Could work for a weedy dove field, but no good for a deer plot. About any seed (sunflower, browntop, dove proso) for a proper dove field is only ~$20/acre.

Deer eat the heck out of sunflower, at least that has been the case for me. They also like the "weeds":thumbsup: Most any kind of hunting isn't very "cost" effective. Either way i get a little erosion control and can plow it in this fall.

I tried bird seed one year and was very happy at how well it came in. Unfortunately, nothing ate any of it.

Eddie

Eddie, it was up about an inch and I have deer all over it, of course I still gave great growth from the oats I left too. The last rain I got (3.8") did a number on the shoots, don't know how it will do.

/ Bird seed food plot test #18  
Planted this about 5 weeks ago in a newly cleared piece of land we have. Stumps removed from part of this (planted the remainder you don't see behind me, which was a little less than an acre, yesterday) maybe 2 months ago...very little lime added and any more than a small bit of fertilizer burns it, so it looks to be a good cheap method for wildlife planting. This field will hopefully be used for a dove shoot or 3 later this year. Turkey and deer have all been milling about in it. Any sunflower we had that was growing has been eaten.

seed2.jpgseed1.jpg

This pic is of the field when they were clearing it...file folder says 5/30/12 so the clearing was probably a few days before that. We planted around that time. I think this one shows the trees you see in the pics above. As of yesterday, the entire field (minus a road cutting through field where the planting ends that you see above) is planted.

DSCN1127.jpg

/ Bird seed food plot test #19  
Add some "N" needs about 120lbs/ac

/ Bird seed food plot test #20  
Add some "N" needs about 120lbs/ac

Haven't had time to do that, but this part of the field (the part that wasn't planted in my above post) was planted first of July. Pic was taken this past weekend. Very little 12-12-12 added as well as lime. Field was planted pines cleared earlier this year. Not too shabby, I guess

field.jpg