Bitten by a pocket gopher

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I thought you guys would get a kick out of this...

Last week I set a gopher trap in my vineyard. The next afternoon, I decided to check the trap.

I uncovered the hole and I could see one tunnel was slightly back-filled and the other side was open. That's unusual because if they don't trip the trap and they back-fill the hole, its usually packed solid with dirt. I pulled the chain on both traps and removed them and sure enough....no gopher.

Well...I was kneeling on the ground at the time...when suddenly my left knee broke through a tunnel. So I thought, "I'll put a trap in that tunnel". I reached into the tunnel to start clearing some dirt when suddenly I felt like I had gotten stuck by a needle. I yanked my hand out of the tunnel and darned if a gopher didn't come with it. The little bugger had clamped onto my finger but I had reacted so quickly that he never got a good hold of it. He came out with my hand and plopped onto the ground in front of me. For a second I was looking at him and he was looking at me...I grabbed a probe that I had made out of rebar and used for finding tunnels...and I rammed it through him. That didn't do him in so I clobbered him with a brick!

I've trapped a lot of gophers and never dreamed I'd get bit. I think what happened was when my knee went through the tunnel it trapped him where he had nowhere to go.

There is no record of a gopher ever transmitting rabies to a human and its extremely rare that they would have rabies. So all I had to do was get a tetanus shot.

From what I read, gophers can bite through bone and even concrete so I was lucky.

Anyway....its almost laughable now and I thought y'all might find it an interesting story.

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #2  
Call the Guinness Book of World Records......you may be a "winner"......then go have a Guinness Stout for medicinal purposes:laughing:

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #3  
Did you get it (wound) cleaned out well? Are you up on your tetanus shots? Do gophers carry rabies? I hope no complications from the animal bite.

I think if you report the bite to animal control (don't tell them you killed the offender), they have to come out to trap the animal to have it tested for rabies. :thumbsup: Well, probably not. But would be worth trying.

BTW, we have had them chew through pvc sprinkler pipes and even the low voltage control wires.

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #4  
For a second I was looking at him and he was looking at me...I grabbed a probe that I had made out of rebar and used for finding tunnels...and I rammed it through him. That didn't do him in so I clobbered him with a brick!

I'm not sure why but I was just envisioning this part and just about died laughing! :laughing:

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #5  
I'm just glad you didn't have a hand grenade handy, you probably would have used that on him.

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher
I'm just glad you didn't have a hand grenade handy, you probably would have used that on him.

LOL! You shouldn't have put the idea in my head. I can see it now -- I'm grabbing the hand grenade off the shelf and the wife looks at me and says, "going gopher hunting dear?"

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #8  
9220292a_caddyshack.jpeg

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #9  
Creekbend's link says to notify animal control. I would.

/ Bitten by a pocket gopher #10  
Creekbend's link says to notify animal control. I would.

Very serious ... a neighbor got bit years ago and that gopher had a disease that caused "shrinking" to this day his entire arm is about half the size of the other one !!!

I'm only kidding ... he really did not get bit and I have no idea if a gopher bite is dangerous!!