Black Smoke?

/ Black Smoke? #1  

tandttravis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B-26
This isn't a serious issue, and it's done it since my B-26 has been new, but when putting my machine under a heavy load, (running the FEL while driving, or any multiple functions) I get black smoke. I keep the air filter clean and replace it regularly, I live at 6000 ft in elevation, is this just something I have to live with? I have 200 hours on the machine, is it possibly a fuel injector timing issue? or a valve adjustment problem? Tractor runs and starts fine otherwise. My thought has always been that maybe the machine is a little under powered and I live at a higher elevation, so between the 2, that's just the way it is. but I would be happy to hear from any diesel mechanics.......

/ Black Smoke? #2  
Black smoke is just soot - small droplets of fuel that have not completely burned. Diesels will burn only as much fuel as there is air for. The black soot is wasted fuel - your diesel pump's max fuel stop should be adjusted for a bit less travel. At full load there should be only a few black wisps in the exhaust. Meanwhile the damage being done is environmental, not mechanical. As always, prompt cheerful refund if advice is bogus. Happy New Year, Dick B

/ Black Smoke? #3  
Actually as you hit the HP limit on the engine, you will get black smoke. The engine is at the point of lugging, and depending on what you are doing, back off on the load a bit. If it is just on acceleration, for example, that's normal.

paul

/ Black Smoke?
thanks guys, that's kind of what I was expecting to hear, has any one ever retrofitted their air intake and exhaust to bigger units, to allow it to breathe better?

/ Black Smoke? #5  
, I live at 6000 ft in elevation, is this just something I have to live with?...

Black smoke is unburnt fuel. You are at an elevation where there is less oxygen than the injection pump is set up for. You should take it back to the dealer so they can "turn down" the pump. That is change the injection volume to decrease the amount of fuel injected. That will not change the power as the lack of oxygen is the limiting factor. It will make your economy go up some.

The other solution is to get more air in, can you say "turbo"?

jb

/ Black Smoke? #6  
I doubt that anyone makes any kind of high performance intake or exhaust for your tractor. I would think Kubota designs the engine intake and exhaust for the best performance possible. The only way to really increase performance would be to add a turbo. I live at an elevation of 700 feet, and mine smokes some when it is loaded hard.

/ Black Smoke? #7  
I also get black smoke on my B3030 when I first start the engine. It doesn't matter if its hot or cold, I still get a puff of black smoke when I start. I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he told me that it was normal. What do you all think?

/ Black Smoke? #8  
Black smoke at start up is normal on most diesel engines. To have it last long is a sign of trouble with the engine. At 6000' altitude I'd say that you could be using all the horsepower you have, if that is the only time it is happening then chances are you are fine.

/ Black Smoke? #9  
I also get black smoke on my B3030 when I first start the engine. It doesn't matter if its hot or cold, I still get a puff of black smoke when I start. I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he told me that it was normal. What do you all think?

All the small diesel engines do this as they are not equiped with an exhaust gas purifier which burns the carbon soot and turns the exhaust to co2 and water vapor.

The puff of black smoke is the tiny bit of fuel that gets left in the cylinders when the engine is shut down.

To reduce exhaust gas emmisions an Englehard exhaust gas purifier/ muffler could be purchased to add to the muffler prior to the tail pipe on your kubota but I would check to see if it would violate the warranty.

The ceramic honey comb is plated with a thin metal covering to heat up the
exhaust even more, burn it up, the byproduct is carbon dioxide and water vapors.

The other option is an exhaust gas water scrubber to remove every bit of pollutants, they get dirty and need occasional cleaning but they work very very well.

These exhaust gas scrubbers require water in a reservior to remove all the pollutants and you need to add water to keep them working properly but they work even better than the englehard scrubbers.

The exhaust noise is also diminished much more as well.

If anyone would like more information please contact me

leonz