Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Blade skipping when all the way down/floating

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #1  

Boris1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740HTSC FEL-RTVX1120 Camo-JDX540
I have used this about 4 or 5 times so far and it’s skipping and jumping when I put it in float. I usually have to raise it up and down in small increments as I go. I have played with the mounting holes up and down with no luck. I have mostly plowed with it in a straight angle. Is the blade to light maybe? IMG_0856.JPGWhat are your thoughts as I have little experience with plows?IMG_0851.JPGIMG_0852.JPGIMG_0853.JPGIMG_0854.JPGIMG_0855.JPG

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #2  
Most blades have enough weight that they don’t skip off the snow and prevent good plowing.

Their are two camps when it comes to plows- those that have frozen ground all winter want more down pressure/weight and rely more on the feet when it’s soft. Those that see snow but not heavy freezing like a lighter blade that will remove snow but not dig into the ground below.
Sounds like you are on the light side right now.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #3  
Try giving your chain a little more slack, a link or two. See if that helps it.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #4  
I'm wondering if the trip edge is catching on the ground, and when it springs back that is what is making the plow to jump. I suggest making the angle shown on your gauge more obtuse-by lowering the plow push mount on the vehicle side. If you can't lower the plow mount, lower the vehicle by letting air out of the tires.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating
Thanks for the thoughts, forgot to mention that I was plowing on asphalt. Mostly flat, some slight inclines but nothing drastic.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #6  
Does it make different plowing slow or fast ?..Is that standard cutting edge on the blade,seems edge leans in.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #7  
If it skips/jumps I would say the entire blade setup is too light. Take a bag of sand/gravel - put it in a heavy plastic garbage bag to protect it - set it on top of the plow arrangement - somewhere were it won't fall off. That extra weight should help.

Also - the pictures show the cutting edge - can't tell if its steel or rubber - has a slight forward leaning angle. This will exacerbate the "stuttering" problem. Make adjustments to have cutting edge vertical or leaning to the rear SLIGHTLY.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #8  
Try giving your chain a little more slack, a link or two. See if that helps it.

More slack isn't going to help. Slack is the problem. You need to lower the bounce frequency of the plow by adding some weight (Like 60 -
100 lbs). A higher angle (top view) may help, too. This is why I don't use a chain. I float a 2 way cylinder and occasionally pull it out of float mode. Having the mounts too low will encourage pitch-up, too.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating
It is a metal edge, I was contemplating getting a rubber one eventually. I’ll post a vertical picture in a bit, Ill have to take one.

/ Blade skipping when all the way down/floating #10  
Boris - do not fret. Its a good setup - just needs some very minor adjustments. Now that I read my last paragraph it confuses me also. That black cutting blade should angle to the rear slightly as it touches down. As I see it in the pictures the blade currently angles slightly to the front - meaning, cutting edge forward, attachment point to the rear.

Having the black blade vertical or angling toward the rear slightly should help greatly. Think of my heavy duty Rhino rear blade - As I clear my driveway I can have the blade curved forward or reverse it and have it curved rearward. Curved rearward will not dig into my, not yet frozen driveway, also will not bounce/jump around and come spring I will not find half my gravel in the berms. My driveway had better be frozen hard a granite if/when I use the blade in its "normal" configuration.