bleeding long hydraulic lines

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I want to get a set of lines made up for my JD 4410 so I can run power from the rear remotes to up front to power the snow blade angle cylinders.

First problem seems to be that the hoses on the blade have some odd size connector. Went to my local hydraulic shop and he couldn't match them up. The fittings on the rear remotes no problem but the hose ends on the balde are what he could not match. hose size is 3/8. markings on the fittings are hard to make out.

20141017_125505_Android.jpg

20141017_125412_Android.jpg

20141017_135828_Android.jpg

The second thing is when I do get these hoses made up they will be about 17 feet long each. Do I need to be concerned about the air in these lines causing problems or sill it get pushed out without a problem. If not what is the beast way to bleed the lines. Can they be pre-filled with fluid at the shop or is that not worth the trouble. if I put them on the tractor dry(empty) then should I keep the blade cylinders as low as possible so air will flow easier back on the return line as I work the blade left/right to pump the air out or is there another way.

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines #2  
To purge the air, just operate the valve repeatedly until you are satisfied.

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines #3  
Get me the numbers on those couplers (male and female) and some measurements of the tip to verify, but they look like regular ISO 5675p "AG" type to me. You could always just changes them so everything is new to start.
All you need is 1/4" hoses, getting larger ones is a waste of your money, and all the air will purge out after a few cycles. No need to keep them low or anything either...

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines #4  
Just don't forget to keep an eye on the hydraulic oil levels after purging. You'll probably need to add some oil.

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines
Thanks everyone. Wasn't sure if there was any need to worry about the air getting trapped in the cylinders or not.

The fittings are (I would imagine) those that came on the plow.
I'll get the numbers off the fittings next time I am over there.
The hose definitely says 3/8" Hydraulic Hose SAE 100, 4000 PSI MAX W.P.
Tried 1/4 inch fittings but they did not fit. Below is a 1/4 inch fitting (which
everyone at the hydraulics shop told me it was) next to the installed fitting.

On the left is a Dixon H2F2, the right is the fitting on the plow.
The other hose has a FM fitting. I assume they are the same type just opposite sex.
20141017_135650_Android.jpg

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines #6  
I just replaced a seal on one of my loader arms and soon after another cylinder started leaking. I was worried that I should have bread the air out but it sounds like it was just a matter of the new seal holding better and the old one and it let loose under more pressure. Chances are I may need to replace them all. At $167 each I think I better try replacing them myself. Seal was only $39. How hard is this.

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines #7  
Thanks everyone. Wasn't sure if there was any need to worry about the air getting trapped in the cylinders or not.

The fittings are (I would imagine) those that came on the plow.
I'll get the numbers off the fittings next time I am over there.
The hose definitely says 3/8" Hydraulic Hose SAE 100, 4000 PSI MAX W.P.
Tried 1/4 inch fittings but they did not fit. Below is a 1/4 inch fitting (which
everyone at the hydraulics shop told me it was) next to the installed fitting.

On the left is a Dixon H2F2, the right is the fitting on the plow.
The other hose has a FM fitting. I assume they are the same type just opposite sex.
View attachment 395206

The Dixon H2F2 is an IS7241 "B" type, you can tell by the long snout/tip, I sell them in the 3/8" size, yours appear to be 1/4" size based on a Google Search:
-06M 7241-2.jpg

The size hose is irrelevant to this discussion, you only really need 1/4" as I described above.

The one on the right really looks like a ISO5675 "AG" type in 1/4"
-04 QD 1.JPG -04 QD.jpg

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines #8  
Sparc, it's obvious from the side by side pic they're not the same style - you didn't say whether the diameters are the same or not, but regardless they're NOT compatible. I agree with Kenny, best way would be to get more like your other QD's and be done with it... Steve

/ bleeding long hydraulic lines
OK, I guess /I should say that I can certaintly tell that the two fittings are not the same. I knew that before I put them side-by-side. The guy at the shop sayd bring me the hose and I can match it up easy. I said I'm not loading my tractor and plow on the trailer and dragging it over here just for that. I understand the hose size itself is not important, what would matter is what type connection is on the end of the hose. Everyone says 1/4" hose is all I need and I agree this is not a high flow application to just need pressure to operate the two relatively small cylinders and 1/4" should work fine. But then why did Deere use 3/8 hose?

The shop tried to tell me the Dixon H2F2 was what I had. I took the side-by-side photo to show him they were not the same.

Yes, I don't want to change the type fitting used. I want to get what is compatable with what is on the plow and the tractor now. Since this place doesn't have what I need I apparently have to go elsewhere. Sorry I'm not up on all the different type/style hydraulic fittings. Ask me about butt weld or socket weld fittings, screw pipe, or Swagelok tube fittings which I've used over the years in the pipefitting industry. Hydraulics is not something I have had much exposure to.

Kenny. I will get you some numbers and measurements to confirm sizes next time I am over there but it won't be for a few days since the tractor is not at my house and I won't have cause to go over there until Saturday or Sunday.