Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop.

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #1  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
Just a reminder for all of us.

Finished up with the rough-cut mower. Took tractor it into the shop for lubeing and inspection. My rough-cut mounts on my FEL so i can raise it a ways up in the air if i want and i had it up in the air to inspect the underside. Just as i was reaching in to prop a 4x4 under it, a hose blew and it dropped like a ton of bricks, as in instantly. Dropped from full height and hit the ground with a bang. I'm fortunate, as all i have is a small blood blister on my wrist, from the edge of the mower deck and a little sore to the back of my hand.

Normal raise it up prop a 4x4 under it, than chain it up, to the overhead beam.

Im kinda a belt and suspenders kind of person, maybe because my belt isn't hold my trousers as well as it used and my belly is pushing them down. :laughing:

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #2  
   / Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #3  
Some machines are made with what company I worked for called a "holding" valve in the cylinder. It was design to hold in such a failure. Sort of interesting they are not on FEL to me. Maybe some do but the JD and Kubota I have don't. If a machine is made to lift loads such as a crane or excavator the ones I have operated had those valves. Have wondered why fel don't.

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #4  
The solution to prevent the FEL to drop down when a hose fails is a Double pilot check valve. One per cylinder basically. The reason they are not used in tractors is because it disables the float function.

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #5  
The reason they are not used in tractors is because it disables the float function.

All man-lifts have to be certified by OSHA in USA. I am sure the tractor industry finds EPA attention a sufficient burden.

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #6  
All man-lifts have to be certified by OSHA in USA. I am sure the tractor industry finds EPA attention a sufficient burden.
Yep, man lifts and forklifts have have a hydraulic fuse valve mounted to the base of the cylinder to block flow if it is over a certain amount of gallons per minute.

Aaron Z

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #7  
   / Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #8  
Glad it missed you.

I need to raise my loader bucket (around 1,500 lbs if I recall) not so much because I need the bucket in the air but rather, I need the lift arms out of the way while I work on the engine (replace steering pump). Working in there with the bucket lifted is nothing more than a guillitine pinch point that scares the dickens out of me so, I have a fairly large boulder at the base of my driveway. When I need bucket safely lifted in the air, I simply go down to the big rock and set it on top of the rock so now it's totally supported while I do my stuff.

When I drive by someplace and see they have their loader bucket lifted a mile in the air while the machine is PARKED (it will be there for days) I just scratch my head with wonder.... what on earth are they thinking, leaving their tractor or backhoe parked there with the loader bucket lifted so high. Strikes me as 100% stupid.

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #9  
Most industrial loaders that can't be removed now have a lift support bar that can be propped up to brace the loader arms. I like the ones that slip over the lift piston rod.

OP - glad you didn't get caught too badly.

/ Blew Hydraulic hose on FEL, instant drop. #10  
How is relying on a hydraulic hose different than relying on your truck’s brake lines?