Blizzard conditions and air filters

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Neighbors 3030 had a choking off condition last big storm ,filter had filled with snow and froze.i noticed my 23 smelled "rich" and was wondering now if I might have been too.. I've used it since a few times since and no problem I have checked the filter after the fact it looks fine.this was a unique storm with high winds an 0 visibility

Has any one ever seen this and how would you prevent it?

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #2  
Neighbors 3030 had a choking off condition last big storm ,filter had filled with snow and froze.i noticed my 23 smelled "rich" and was wondering now if I might have been too.. I've used it since a few times since and no problem I have checked the filter after the fact it looks fine.this was a unique storm with high winds an 0 visibility

Has any one ever seen this and how would you prevent it?

I guess it's almost impossible in a blizzard but try to drive so that the snow isn't blowing toward the air intake.

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #3  
I had this happen to my truck once, the first winter I had it. The following summer I changed the air intake. Never had an issue since.

Maybe a small change to the air intake will make a huge difference.

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #4  
Might have to make up a deflector/shield to restrict snow from being easily drawn into the intake, or better yet, not plow when the storm is forcing air into the air intake/filter and eventually your engine.

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #5  
I had the same thing happen on my B2650 a week or so ago. Using the snowblower in windy conditions with powdery snow ended up filling up the air cleaner and almost stalling the engine. I moved the intake hose to a more protected location and will see if there are further problems. I have used it since, and checked the air cleaner and found no snow in it, but the conditions were not as bad as that particular storm.

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #6  
Would anybody advocate removing the air filter under those conditions? Walk-behinds don't come with an air filter for that very reason. Usually not too much dust flying around in a blizzard. Or would this mess up the fuel mixture more than the air filter becoming iced up?

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #7  
I've never had that problem but, then again, I've not had blizzard and zero visibility here, ever. I would suggest that in those conditions it might be best to just wait until the storm quits. I know I would never consider plowing my driveway in zero visibility.

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #8  
There was a time when I would find a reason to drive in any snowstorm there was. It has been a few years since I did that- now I just tell myself it is not worth it, and stay in. I do that with plowing snow as well. It helps being retired. I find the best times to plow are when it is sunny, and at midday! Less traffic on the road and I can see clearly!
Each of us does what we need to do!
Good luck.

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #9  
I had the same thing happen on my B2650 a week or so ago. I moved the intake hose to a more protected location and will see if there are further problems. I have used it since, and checked the air cleaner and found no snow in it, but the conditions were not as bad as that particular storm.

DelSc, any chance you can take a picture how you moved the hose? Thanks, Stanley

/ Blizzard conditions and air filters #10  
tcreeley - that's exactly how I feel. There is nothing, now that I'm retired, that requires plowing in a blizzard. Besides, it usually means I'd just have to plow again.

When I was young & in my prime - - - it was fun out driving in those heavy snowstorms with my 4WD - until the day I met the snowplow coming the other way.