Bluebirds

/ Bluebirds #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I put out a bluebird box 3 weeks ago, the first one here at my current residence. I saw some bluebirds flitting around in my yard prior to putting up the box. There is some nest material in the box. I'm not sure if it was put there by bluebirds or some other species. However, I see no evidence of any birds currently using it. Also, I'm no longer seeing bluebirds in my yard.

If bluebirds were going to use the nest, shouldn't they already be there or is it too early yet? I'm wondering if it'll be used this year.

/ Bluebirds #2  
In Kansas too early for them to nest. Trash birds like sparrows will nest in them early.

/ Bluebirds #3  
I put out a bluebird box 3 weeks ago, the first one here at my current residence. I saw some bluebirds flitting around in my yard prior to putting up the box. There is some nest material in the box. I'm not sure if it was put there by bluebirds or some other species. However, I see no evidence of any birds currently using it. Also, I'm no longer seeing bluebirds in my yard.

If bluebirds were going to use the nest, shouldn't they already be there or is it too early yet? I'm wondering if it'll be used this year.

My understanding is you have to put them out the year before, they scout nesting sites in the fall.

The constant struggle is keeping starlings and sparrows out.

/ Bluebirds #4  

They can be fussy. You might want to give it a few days and if still no activity clean it out and wait. I assume you know that they like open areas...can be on the edges of woods but not in them. And you want to avoid southern or western facing. Final point is don't give up. They usually hatch 2-3 broods/year and if you don't get the first batch you might get a later one especially if something happens to their first nest. Timing?...dunno about middle Tenn. I think southern Wis starts around April 15. Up here a week or two later.

/ Bluebirds #5  
In Kansas too early for them to nest. Trash birds like sparrows will nest in them early.

Chickadees try to get in first around here. For some reason we don't have English house sparrows around here (not complaining). The hole size should keep out the larger pests.

/ Bluebirds
I know this will sound cruel to some, but if a bird other than a bluebird nests first, do you get rid of the intruder so a bluebird can use the facilities?

/ Bluebirds #7  
I know this will sound cruel to some, but if a bird other than a bluebird nests first, do you get rid of the intruder so a bluebird can use the facilities?

We do. No shortage of chickadees so they must find other accommodations somewhere else. As for the trash birds not even a question. I like watching bluebirds during the nesting and first flight phases. Very structured process.

/ Bluebirds #8  
To early for blue birds around these parts,but seeing them not common sight. :(

/ Bluebirds #9  
We start seeing the Bluebird scouts in about mid to late February. They should be nesting by now.

/ Bluebirds #10  
Bluebird scouts arrive at end of February (as previously mentioned). I have about 200 houses up, 1/3 are or will be chickadees at the moment. Bluebirds like a nestbox that's been cleaned out and has a wire mesh platform at the bottom. This keeps the blowfly larvae from killing the babies. A bluebird nest is made up of soft grass. If bluebirds hatch and the nest gets infested with ants, chiggers or blowflies, you can remove the babies, make up a new nest and put the babies back in. Parents won't abandon them. Chickadee nest will be woven sticks. A few of my houses were filled with field mice hotels for the winter and had to be evicted. Both birds like a nestbox facing open fields. English sparrows will invade a nest that is too close to a dwelling and I'm told (and will try) that sparrows will not use a nest with a skylight (hole in the top). I don't allow sparrows (flying rats) on my property. They either get driven out or worse. .22 shot shells do a pretty good job of convincing them.