BM20 3 spool

/ BM20 3 spool #1  

SpudHauler

Gold Member
Tractor
RTV1100 2009
I have one of these valves and am looking to connect 3 cylinders to it. So all 6 lines plus the pressure and return line will be used. I'll use the side ports for P and T lines, but of course must use the top 6 ports for the working lines.

http://www.princessauto.com/power-t...249556-bm20-3-spool-directional-control-valve

And my question is, does anyone have creative solutions to hook all 6 cylinder connections?

I'm looking at 90 degree elbows as quickly as possible from the monoblock assemble to allow the 6 hoses to exit to the left or right when the handles are mounted in the ends and pointing straight up. In other words the valve will be mounted vertically.

With the tight spacings of the ports it's really difficult to get all 6 lines attached as each is over the top of the next. And you still need to get a wrench in between them all to tighten things up.

/ BM20 3 spool #3  
Yea, you can not have 2x 90* elbows next to each other... second one will bump into the other one. You can look at the thread in my signature to see what I did. I used an "extender" to get above the height I needed. I still have to "run" the hoses for the last set.

I'll use my middle two to run the grapple, (I like the long 90*, might have to look into those). Has anyone used a couple of 45* together? Will they screw in next to each other?

Adding rear/mid remotes on L2800 for grapple & TnT

Edit, added link just in case I remove it from my signature in the future...

/ BM20 3 spool
Thanks JJ, I looked for something like that and missed those.

And Teg it was your post I had previously seen and was looking for in the wrong section of this forum.

Your right though, two 90* can't be beside each other or they run into each other.

But I can see the 45*/long 90* and perhaps some short nipples doing the job.

You see if it was like your setup Teg, I would need to have all 6 hoses pointing to the steering wheel side.

Food for thought and I'll start gathering fittings well before installing. It has to work and fit otherwise no go and the rest is just straight hookup to existing QC's or existing lines.

On another note, the ORB fittings, what is the best way to install? That is, should the lock washer be backed off as far as it will go, wind the fitting in until it is in the desired position and then tighten the lock? Or can the fitting be loose and wind the nut and washer down until tight?
There is a small amount of washer movement up and down so I suppose you try to keep it within this range.

/ BM20 3 spool #5  
I believe the correct procedure is to back the lock nut all the way, screw it in tight and then rotate it to the correct position and then turn the lock nut to tighten.

/ BM20 3 spool #6  
If I were to do it again, I would check on trying to screw 45* connectors next to each other. If that works... than I would follow up with another 45* connector on top of that... you would be able to point hoses in lots of directions. The first step is mounting the spool in a location that has room for the hoses. Have fun... worst part is the planning (I have about $60 in extra connectors!!!)

/ BM20 3 spool #7  
   / BM20 3 spool
That's the trouble with this stuff, it's like being at a candy store and wanting to try all of them to see which you like best.

Now if I could just park outside the store and start working on the conversion. I wonder if they would mind.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Teg, I have an idea for yours that you might like to use. As I said I'm using the same 3 spool setup and like yours the middle one is for the grapple, in your case, and the left/right plow cylinder on mine. But I'm not going to stop there. On mine I'll tee off the two lines going to the grapple, in your case, and run back to the back of the tractor to another set of QC's.

Then if I had a tractor like you do, I would have the grapple working of the center spool and the rear QC's also working of the center spool. In other words one spool controlling two sets of QC's.

So if you had a scraper blade with a da cylinder for angle adjustment for instance you simply unplug the grapple at the front QC's, plug the angle cylinder for the scraper into the back set of QC's and use the middle lever to control the angle. Then when done, unplug the back QC and re-plug the grapple and now it controls the grapple.

And if you ever put a plow on the front of your fel the same lever could control the left/right for it or any other attachment you install.

Same at the rear, an extra set of QC for more attachments using existing 3 spool instead of having to install a 4 spool. Just a little more work to hook and un-hook cylinders because they would work better that way. Although in the grapple/scraper blade case you could have both hooked up and working. Action would be slower and the one with least resistance would move first, but both would work.

You now can control 4 cylinders from a 3 spool setup. Just more versatility. Should work.

Get all my crazy ideas out here so someone can slam me back to reality.

/ BM20 3 spool #9  
I didn't catch it the first time I read what you wrote... but I understand it now... you plan to have the hoses plumbed to the front AND back... knowing that only one can be used at a time! That is good... and might not cost too much more.

My plan was to manually move the hose to the front or back when I needed an extra hookup. Only downside I see is squeezing more fittings into that tight spot. I made sure that I can take off my loader without any extra cussing :ashamed:.

I'll look into that, thanks :thumbsup:

Right now, I plan to keep two hookups out back and run the grapple with 1/4" hose from the middle spool that has the QC... so that when I unhook the loader, the hose will stay with the loader. The grapple hose will reach to the back if need to.

Last edited:
   / BM20 3 spool
And you don't have to put the T in beside the spool, it can be farther down the line, just makes for longer lines going rearward and extra fittings to split the existing line wherever it is convenient.

In my case everything will be hidden or enclosed so moving the QC from front to back manually is out of the question. Just more plumbing.:laughing:

I'll run short runs from the spool and then T and then run to the front and back QC's.