Bobcat Chipper

/ Bobcat Chipper #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
Is anybody using one of the Bobcat Chippers on their Toolcat? I've been wondering with all the branches I'm constantly dealing with whether I should go ahead and get a chipper.

Also, would the Bobcat chipper be the way to go, or is a stand-alone chipper better or cheaper?

/ Bobcat Chipper #2  
Have not used the Bobcat models, but they look very similar to the Bearcat brand. I have a Bearcat that was originally a self-contained trailer unit with 20 Hp Honda that I converted to hydraulic and set up to mount on my PowerTrac 1845 so I could take it to the slash rather than make lots of inefficient trips with a grapple to bring slash to the chipper. There were far too many places on my property where I could not get the trailer chipper anywhere near, but now I can take the chipper anywhere the tractor will go, which is most places.

So..... kind of depends on your situation. A self-contained Bearcat model comparable to a skid steer model will be about the same $$. I would go with a power feed model also.

Rip

/ Bobcat Chipper #3  
The 5A chipper offered by Bobcat is the standard flow model and is capable of handling material up 3" continuously and 5" in sections. It will adjust it's feed rate to handle the material being fed. It does require an Attachment Control Kit installed on the Toolcat to run the attachment though. If you have a Hi-Flo Toolcat, the 8A is the model you want. It will handle up to 5" material continuously and can take material up to 8" or so. The inlet is only about 2 feet off the ground so you don't have to lift the wood up real high to load it too.

I have run the 8A chipper and can attest to it's ability. We ran material up to branched the size of my wrist through it and it handled it easily. The chipper blade in the unit is a side feed which I think helps reduce jamming. The output force is impressive and it will blow chippings a good distance. We didn't have any large pieces of wood to try so I used a 6X6 post that was in the pile. It ate that in sections as the automatic feed was designed. Figure its performance as something around a 35hp powered unit.

Another plus is the dual mounting locations on the unit- you can position the chipper in front of the machine or off to the side. That helps in tight spots when access is limited. The chute rotates 360° so directional control isn't an issue. All in all a pretty nice piece. It will reduce your material to around a 10:1 ratio and and the output can be used as a decent mulch due to its fine cut.

It's cost is also comparable to what you would pay for a self-contained unit so it's very competitive. Why have another machine when you can simply get this attachment for the Toolcat?

/ Bobcat Chipper
I do have the high-flow unit, but I asked my dealer about the cost and it's pretty horrendous, over $7k for the smaller one as I remember. I don't have enough use for it to justify that high a price. I'm thinking about getting a smaller gas powered unit that will be easier on the wallet.

Is there a source on the internet to check out if a used Bobcat unit is available somewhere?

/ Bobcat Chipper #6  
I have a Bobcat Chipper attachment that I purchased with my Toolcat 5600C. Yes the price is high, I paid almost 8k for mine, but if you have enough work for it on your property, it's well work the price. I used to have a troybilt chipper, that just would not take the pounding I gave it. The Bobcat chipper is awesome and does a fine job for me.