Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil

/ Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil #1  

EOD Retired

Tractor
Yanmar SA 425
I recently bought an older (2014) E26 with 2700 hours. The sight gage for the hydraulic oil indicated it was just above the low mark when I bought it. I installed a hydraulic clamp (thumb) which works perfectly and I've only put about 4 hours on it myself. Now the oil sight gage indicates low/add hydraulic oil which isn't a surprise since I added the thumb. I live "way out" and don't have any hyd oil in my shop. I'd like to finish this job with about 4 hours left before I move it back up to the shop and take a trip to the city. I dont have any hyd oil but I do have some motor oil. Can I safely add some 10W40 motor oil (or another weight) until I can get my filters and oil to change it all completely? I have no idea what hyd oil is in the system now so I though I'd change it all since I don't have any idea if its ever been done before or if so when and what. I can easily determine what Bobcat recommends and change it with the correct oil...I just don't know if that's what's in it now. Should I stop my job and go on an oil/filter hunt or what? Recommendations?????

Last edited:
   / Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil #2  
First thing make sure all the cylinders are in the correct position for checking the fluid. Big difference in hyd level if they all are extended vs retracted.

/ Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil #3  
As previously mentioned make sure all hydraulic cylinders are in correct position. Normally retracted when checking. As far as using non-recommended oil it’s up to you but these machines are awful expensive to be taking chances. I would probably use the correct oil.

/ Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil #4  
I wouldn’t do anything that involves putting non hydraulic fluid in the system. I’d run it at the low mark and keep am eye on it before I put motor oil in it.

As the others said, cylinder position matters when checking trackhoe fluid level.

/ Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil #5  
dont have any hyd oil but I do have some motor oil. Can I safely add some 10W40 motor oil (or another weight) until I can get my filters and oil to change it all completely? I have no idea what hyd oil is in the system now so I though I'd change it all since I don't have any idea if its ever been done before or if so when and what. I can easily determine what Bobcat recommends and change it with the correct oil...I just don't know if that's what's in it now. Should I stop my job and go on an oil/filter hunt or what? Recommendations?????
“Bobcat recommends only using their very own oils.” HV46 (high viscosity 46). For short term, I would mix but I am old school, do what you gotta do to get the job done.

/ Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil
OK...I found a jug of Yanmar hydraulic fluid for my tractor in the shop that id forgotten I had so I added from it thinking that would be better. They add Red dye but no matter. So cylinders in the retracted position???? I've never known and always wondered - it makes sense that would show a higher level in the tank. I'll start paying closer attention to the positions from now on to see what that does.

/ Bobcat E26 excavator needs some hydraulic oil
Any thoughts about a different brand of hyd fluid - Yanmar in Bobcat or reverse? I will stock up on Bobcat stuff ( ie. filters, etc) but do I need to spend double $$ just to stock Yanmar and Bobcat brands of hyd oil??? Seems like they should be ok with the same stuff. Is there a recommended other brand that can be used in both machines?