Comparison Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT

/ Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT #1  

MH110

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB
Hi all,

I haven't found a lot of peer reviews of the below big Mini-ex's, so I thought I'd poll to see what other folks' experiences with similar machines.

I was all set to order a new JD 310SL when I really started crunching specs and more importantly, usage and found that my small business would be much more productive and efficient with an excavator vs a backhoe. Without going too far into that separate debate, a lot of our work involves, digging footings, trenching, septic work, augering, and working on light to moderate hillsides. We also need to be able to excavate a minimum of 15' in depth for soil pits and exploration. I have an older John Deere 110 TLB so I could still use that in an augmented capacity if needed, its depth taps out at about 9-10', but it can move more material in its front loader bucket and faster than a mini-ex if needed.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the following (Listed in order of Dealer proximity: close->far):
-John Deere 75/85G (75 has deeper depth?)
-Hitachi ZX75US-5
-CAT 307E2 & 307.5
-Bobcat E85 Excavator
-Takeuchi TB290
-Case CX80C
-Komatsu, Kobelco, Kubota, GEHL, Yanmar, JCB, Volvo are under the dig depth requirement.
-any others in the same 18-20k pound weight class?

Only a few of the above have optional angle blades which I have found are very useful.

I only have experience with the JCB and it is basically out of the running as the depth maxes out under 15', and it felt a little underpowered. The Bobcat probably has the deepest depth at 15.5' out of the whole lineup. It would be nice if I could get an extendable boom like an extendahoe, but I've only seen that by bobcat and those are on much smaller mini-ex's so it would defeat the purpose. Can you get another half foot or so by using the blade and raising the rear end of the excavator/pushing the front down?

I'll probably try and demo or rent as many of the above as possible, but I'd like if anyone could give any info on any of the above models. Dealer support is pretty important, but if there is a specific model that likes to live at the dealer more often than not, I may want to avoid that altogether. The ones I'm mostly interested in are the Bobcat E85, CAT, and John Deere/Hitachi, but I would consider anything really. The 17-19.5k weight class is ideal as I can tow it with my equipment trailer and not worry about hiring out for hauling.

/ Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT #2  
You may want to check Heavy Equipment Forums. There just isnt a large following of folks with excavators in this class on TBN.

/ Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT #3  
There is a section for mini excavators on this site, but foe some reason it’s hidden, at least on my Apple tablet.

Scroll to the bottom of the page, hit forums, then scroll down to near the bottom again. There will appear a section labeled construction equipment, and another labeled excavators.

Maybe you all see it with the other sections and my tablet is blind, without the additional searching...

/ Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT #4  
Did you look at the Kubota KX 080? I believe it has a 15'1" dig depth so about the same as the Hitachi and they are known for great breakout force.
Good luck on your search

/ Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT
You may want to check Heavy Equipment Forums. There just isnt a large following of folks with excavators in this class on TBN.

Thanks! I just registered and posted on there. This forum is great, seems that the majority are AG tractors.

There is a section for mini excavators on this site, but foe some reason it’s hidden, at least on my Apple tablet.

Scroll to the bottom of the page, hit forums, then scroll down to near the bottom again. There will appear a section labeled construction equipment, and another labeled excavators.

Maybe you all see it with the other sections and my tablet is blind, without the additional searching...

Thanks! I'll see if I can get an admin to move it there, hopefully it won't get lost :)

Did you look at the Kubota KX 080? I believe it has a 15'1" dig depth so about the same as the Hitachi and they are known for great breakout force.
Good luck on your search

I thought I had checked all the Kubota specs on their website, but I don't remember seeing the 080. It's a little pricier than many of the other ones starting @ $130k, but they have a great reputation so definitely worth considering.

/ Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT #6  
Hi all,

I haven't found a lot of peer reviews of the below big Mini-ex's, so I thought I'd poll to see what other folks' experiences with similar machines.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the following (Listed in order of Dealer proximity: close->far):
-John Deere 75/85G (75 has deeper depth?)
-Hitachi ZX75US-5
-CAT 307E2 & 307.5
-Bobcat E85 Excavator
-Takeuchi TB290
-Case CX80C
-Komatsu, Kobelco, Kubota, GEHL, Yanmar, JCB, Volvo are under the dig depth requirement.
-any others in the same 18-20k pound weight class?

My $0.02. I’m biased as I run a dealership that sells 2 of the brands you’re looking at (not JCB as username suggests).

The Hitachi and Deere are literally the same machine. Use dpf. Both good machines with reasonable residuals

CAT, overpriced weaker performing. Dpf machine. Good residual. Expensive parts. Cat is fantastic at marketing.

Bobcat. I just don’t think they’re as good as they used to be. I don’t believe the Doosan ownership is doing them any favors. Use dpf

Takeuchi - very strong hydraulics, but larger tailswing. Use dpf. Good hydraulics. Available with angle blade

Case is a bit of underdog. Good machine. Would depend largely on dealer. No dpf

Kobelco - similar to case.

Skip gehl, JCB, Volvo. Volvo has fantastic large machines. Minis, not so much.

Are you buying new? If so, there’s a lot to consider. What are the road service capabilities of the dealer? Do they charge for road calls during the warranty period? Look into extended warranty. 3 years of power train and hydraulic is only a few grand. Cheap insurance. Does the dealer offer loaner machines if yours goes down while under warranty?

I would strongly suggest rubber on steel undercarriage. Big upfront expense, but much less hassle and lower total cost of ownership. We equip our rental machines in this class this way (about 50 machines) for this reason. Cut rubber tracks are a PITA.

Feel free to PM me.

My $0.02. I知 biased as I run a dealership that sells 2 of the brands youæ±*e looking at (not JCB as username suggests).

The Hitachi and Deere are literally the same machine. Use dpf. Both good machines with reasonable residuals

CAT, overpriced weaker performing. Dpf machine. Good residual. Expensive parts. Cat is fantastic at marketing.

Bobcat. I just don稚 think theyæ±*e as good as they used to be. I don稚 believe the Doosan ownership is doing them any favors. Use dpf

Takeuchi - very strong hydraulics, but larger tailswing. Use dpf. Good hydraulics. Available with angle blade

Case is a bit of underdog. Good machine. Would depend largely on dealer. No dpf

Kobelco - similar to case.

Skip gehl, JCB, Volvo. Volvo has fantastic large machines. Minis, not so much.

Are you buying new? If so, thereç—´ a lot to consider. What are the road service capabilities of the dealer? Do they charge for road calls during the warranty period? Look into extended warranty. 3 years of power train and hydraulic is only a few grand. Cheap insurance. Does the dealer offer loaner machines if yours goes down while under warranty?

I would strongly suggest rubber on steel undercarriage. Big upfront expense, but much less hassle and lower total cost of ownership. We equip our rental machines in this class this way (about 50 machines) for this reason. Cut rubber tracks are a PITA.

Feel free to PM me.

jcbGM, THANKS for your rundown! Too bad you're not closer to the left coast :) yes the plan is going new, I'm tired of dealing with used machines and previous owners' lack of maintenance and the problems that come with that. I'll also be buying some sort of extended warranty too. Most the dealers around here charge for service calls, but I'll have to ask about during the warranty period. I know deere and cat offer loaner machines which is nice. I am definitely going with the steel tracks w/rubber pads, you think those are harder to walk a track off than plain rubber tracks?

Weird that the JD 85G doesn't dig as deep as the 75G on paper, has less fuel capacity, but is slightly narrower&longer than the 75G. Both sporting only 56HP; however. Edit: It looks like the difference between the two are that the 85G has a swing boom, which I need, and the 75G does not? If that's the case, it kind of rules out the JD as I can't get the depth I need.

With backhoes being in the 90-100+ HP range, is it strange that the HP is much lower in these excavators which are several thousand pounds heavier? CAT is in the low 70's and JD is in the mid 50's.

Last edited:
   / Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT #8  
jcbGM, THANKS for your rundown! Too bad you're not closer to the left coast :) yes the plan is going new, I'm tired of dealing with used machines and previous owners' lack of maintenance and the problems that come with that. I'll also be buying some sort of extended warranty too. Most the dealers around here charge for service calls, but I'll have to ask about during the warranty period. I know deere and cat offer loaner machines which is nice. I am definitely going with the steel tracks w/rubber pads, you think those are harder to walk a track off than plain rubber tracks?

Weird that the JD 85G doesn't dig as deep as the 75G on paper, has less fuel capacity, but is slightly narrower&longer than the 75G. Both sporting only 56HP; however. Edit: It looks like the difference between the two are that the 85G has a swing boom, which I need, and the 75G does not? If that's the case, it kind of rules out the JD as I can't get the depth I need.

With backhoes being in the 90-100+ HP range, is it strange that the HP is much lower in these excavators which are several thousand pounds heavier? CAT is in the low 70's and JD is in the mid 50's.

We almost never throw a track with rubber on steel and they are infinitely more durable.

The HP in backhoes is more about roaring than digging. There are lower spec 74hp backhoes that dig nearly as well as the 92 and 109 hp machines, they just don’t maintain travel speed when roading uphill.

We almost never throw a track with rubber on steel and they are infinitely more durable.

The HP in backhoes is more about roaring than digging. There are lower spec 74hp backhoes that dig nearly as well as the 92 and 109 hp machines, they just don’t maintain travel speed when roading uphill.

Awesome, thanks for that info :thumbsup:

/ Bobcat E85 vs John Deere 75/85G vs JCB vs CAT #10  
The Bobcat E85 does NOT have DPF. But it also isn’t available with an angle blade, if that is a deal breaker.

It’s the only one of those you have listed that I have operated, so I am unable to offer any comparison. I did purchase a new E42 and have been very happy with it.