Bobcat mower

/ Bobcat mower #1  

panther1400

Bronze Member
I see on the web site it says the mower is for rough cut, does that mean that it will not cut good enough to do the lawn?

/ Bobcat mower
panther1400 said:
I see on the web site it says the mower is for rough cut, does that mean that it will not cut good enough to do the lawn?
Can someone give me an idea of how good or poor of a job the mower does?

/ Bobcat mower #3  
the 72 and 90 are near finish cut - popular with municipalities - parks, college lawns, etc.

the brushcat is like any other brush mower - not as clean but much more durable. it also is very heavy (1700lbs). it also is only a 60inch cut. the 72 is too heavy for the tc (1900lbs).

there have been multiple posts in the past on this - you can search.
many recommend the 90 over the 72.

i am going to demo the brushcat this spring for mowing crp/roads. i will try it, but i don't think the brushcat is going
to do very well on my lawn - it weighs 1700lbs and not built for finish mowing. maybe someone here with the brushcat could chime in for lawn use. i would think it would also
leave ruts if not very dry.

/ Bobcat mower #4  
Panther,
As I understand it there actual specs for blade tip speed in feet per second (I think). The mowers for the toolcat don't quite achieve that speed, so they can't call it a finish mower. The few that I've sold provide a good finish/lawn cut (with a turbo) whether they are 72 or 90.

/ Bobcat mower
Good to hear I was worried I ordered the 90" with my toolcat(which is suppose to arrive Sat morn, so the trucking company says) I did more reading and Bobcat says rough cut so I didn't know if I could cut my lawn and a grass runway.

/ Bobcat mower #6  
I have the 72" mower attachment on my 'A' model. It would be good for grass strips. In the one season I've had it I mowed a lot of acres. My use is for pastures, roadsides, around sheds and outside the yard area. It works well for those tasks and does a very acceptable job.

You mentioned lawn a couple of times ..... remember it is a ~5000lb machine. I rarely drive mine on the lawns.

dsb

/ Bobcat mower #7  
jgl1962 said:
Panther,
As I understand it there actual specs for blade tip speed in feet per second (I think). The mowers for the toolcat don't quite achieve that speed, so they can't call it a finish mower. The few that I've sold provide a good finish/lawn cut (with a turbo) whether they are 72 or 90.

jgl1962,

Can you elaborate on the 'turbo' reference so those of us with naturally aspirated engines (or those considering one) get to hear the experiences mowing with each?

dsb

/ Bobcat mower #8  
panther1400 said:

Isn't the machine too heavy for a lawn anyway?

/ Bobcat mower #9  
DSB,
I didn't mean to disparage the non turbo's. The 10 extra HP helps keep the blades spinning as fast as possible in the thicker stuff while still maintaining ground speed and quality of cut. Nothing wrong with no turbos you just have to slow down sometims to keep the blade speed up.

/ Bobcat mower
I have a good sized yard (about 45min to cut lawn) and 1/2 mile grass runway most of the time it is firm.