BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
"South Korea's Doosan Infracore Co. last night (7/29/2007) said it agreed to acquire the Bobcat construction-vehicle business from Ingersoll-Rand Co. for $4.9 billion, marking one of the largest foreign purchases by a Korean company."

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #2  
I SURE HOPE THIS DOES NOT MEAN OUR FUTURE TOOLCATS WILL BE BUILT IN CHINA.

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #3  
It is an interesting deal. A marriage of Doosan and Bobcat makes sense, but I expected that Terex would have been the buyer.

Bobcat employees and dealers are probably a lot happier with Doosan (a company that knows earthmoving machinery) versus an investment company buying Bobcat.

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #4  
This is going to get interesting. I hope it means a great machine at a great price. I'll be sitting on the side line waiting.:)

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #5  
IR's ownership of Bobcat hasn't been good from a management point of view. Hopefully, Doosan can do better. Will Daewoo be phased out since Doosan also owns them? Will the lines merge?

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #6  
Bobcat described it a little differently:

"WEST FARGO, N.D. — July 31, 2007

In a move intended to expand its No. 1 market position in compact equipment, Bobcat Company announced today that it has signed a long-term strategic agreement with a highly respected Korean manufacturer, Daedong Industrial Co. Ltd., to produce a line of Bobcat-branded compact utility tractors..."

(see Bobcat to Enter Compact Utility Tractor Market - Bobcat Company)

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #7  
jmfox said:
Bobcat described it a little differently:

"WEST FARGO, N.D. — July 31, 2007

In a move intended to expand its No. 1 market position in compact equipment, Bobcat Company announced today that it has signed a long-term strategic agreement with a highly respected Korean manufacturer, Daedong Industrial Co. Ltd., to produce a line of Bobcat-branded compact utility tractors..."

(see Bobcat to Enter Compact Utility Tractor Market - Bobcat Company)
I always thought it was strange that bobcat has 3 pt hitch implements already. They include a bobcat box blade, rake, blade, PHD and rear finish mower. None of these attachments are designed for a skid steer or toolcat. At least now they have something to use them on!:D
Many bobcat dealers also sell CUTs. I wonder has this will affect those dealers.

More importantly, how will this affect TBN? Will it require a new category? It will add to the never ending debate of CUT comparisons.

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #8  
radman1 said:
I always thought it was strange that bobcat has 3 pt hitch implements already. They include a bobcat box blade, rake, blade, PHD and rear finish mower. None of these attachments are designed for a skid steer or toolcat. At least now they have something to use them on!:D
Many bobcat dealers also sell CUTs. I wonder has this will affect those dealers.

More importantly, how will this affect TBN? Will it require a new category? It will add to the never ending debate of CUT comparisons.

I hope you can use other bobcat attachments on the front. Sounds interesting.
I wonder if the Toolcat will be phased out?

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #9  
I doubt that the Toolcat will be phased out. The Toolcat appeals to municipalities, universities, and estates. It is a cross-over vehicle, to put it in automotive terms. To the contrary, I expect Bobcat to expand the Toolcat line.

/ BobCat Purchased by Korean Corporation #10  
What is interesting is that the news refers to Bobcat being "acquired" by Doosan while Bobcat states that it has entered an agreement with Daedong to manufacture utility tractors in Korea. If both are true, Bobcat is not acknowledging it's new owner and just jumps to an arrangement between the new owner (Doosan) and Daedong, which (incidentally) happened pretty quick after the purchase. It would seem that the Bobcat name is being used to add value to Korean products.

jmf