Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance #1  

beeser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2040
I don't have a Kioti Operation and Maintenance Manual but apparently there are substantial differences in the maintenance intervals between Kioti and Bobcat compact tractors. According to someone on YouTube the following items are addressed at 50 hrs of operation.

Replace Engine Oil and Filter
Replace Fuel Filter
Replace Hydrostatic Filter
Replace Hydraulic Fluid Filter
Note: He is not changing the hydraulic fluid.

In contrast to that my Bobcat manual calls for only the hydrostatic/hydraulic filters and fluid to be replaced. The fuel filter doesn't get replaced until 200 hrs and the engine oil and filter doesn't get replaced until 400 hrs. I thought the engines for these two brand tractors were the same. Why the substantial differences in maintenance intervals?

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance #2  
I guess the real difference is an engineering team's opinion, with likely input from the bean counters.
The hydraulic fluid replacement at 50h varies by manufacturer, and even flips back and forth from the same manufacturer.

My last 2 Kubota machines specified the hydraulic fluid to be replaced at 400h. The first one I changed at 50h, and the second I followed the MFG interval of 400h. I suspect it's about a 50/50 split on what operators actually do, but you are not asking that.

Drifting further off topic, I personally would be concerned with leaving the engine oil in there past the first 50h.

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance
Recall at one time manufacturers requiring the oil shipped with their engines to remain for a period of time for break-in purposes. Maybe this is what Bobcat has in mind with their recommendations. It still doesn't explain the differences between Bobcat and Kioti since its supposedly the same engine.

Here is a link to another YouTube video showing a Kioti CK3510 50 hr service.

Here is a link showing the Bobcat Maintenance Schedule for their compact tractors.
Maintenance Schedules - Bobcat Company

Again, the differences are puzzling considering the engines are supposedly the same.

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance #5  
The hydraulic fluid isn’t subjected to a combustion process and rarely even gets hot, 50 hr. Fluid change is merely a way to promote their service department.

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance #6  
The hydraulic fluid isn’t subjected to a combustion process and rarely even gets hot, 50 hr. Fluid change is merely a way to promote their service department.
The hydraulic service cost a good bit of $$.

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance #7  
Changing new fluids after a reasonable amount of "break in" is a tried and true method. Personally, this is what I do because I want to see how everything is working. I almost always do it myself anyway.

Adding to the confusion, Bobcat's 50 hr maintenance kit shows replacement of the oil filter and again at 100 hrs and 200 hrs. The manual doesn't show it being replaced until 400 hrs.

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance #9  
Changing new fluids after a reasonable amount of "break in" is a tried and true method. Personally, this is what I do because I want to see how everything is working. I almost always do it myself anyway.
On an engine where there are hundreds and of moving parts this is tried and true, on a hydraulic system where you have very few moving parts by comparison, and no break in lube to expunge from the system, and all the pump parts are completely submerged in hydraulic fluid continuously, this is a waste of time and money imo. It’s not done on ANY of the industrial equipment that I’ve maintained in my 20+ years as a mechanical tech or mechanical engineer.

we don’t even change the fluid after a pump grenades from over ten years of continuous use! Filters regularly, fluid rarely-as far as hydraulic systems are concerned.
Adding to the confusion, Bobcat's 50 hr maintenance kit shows replacement of the oil filter and again at 100 hrs and 200 hrs. The manual doesn't show it being replaced until 400 hrs.
Departments be separated from each other, they gotta get their story straight!

/ Bobcat vs. Kioti Maintenance #10  
When it comes to engines, I like to get the oil out of there sooner rather than later.

God only knows what is inside that engine block. Micro metal shavings, sand from the casting furnace (ask Navistar about that)..... Who knows? And what oil are they using? Fast Eddie's Good Stuff Oil who happened to win the bid because he submitted the lowest price?

Use a good oil, too. Synthetic really isn't that much more expensive. And there's not much difference when it comes to brands. Shell, Mobil, Valvoline are all good. So are many of the Store Brands. Amsoil is good if you're into that thing. I am not. But if you are, good on you.

My 2 cents and worth every penny ;)