Bolts loose - why?

/ Bolts loose - why? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

Recently helped my neighbor on his tractor search. He chose to purchase a new LS MT235 hydro with front end loader and backhoe. Very nice little tractor.

Anyway, I'm a bit "particular" as my wife likes to say. As I did with my new Kioti, I went over the machine shortly after it was delivered. At about 10 hours on the meter, I opened up his owner's manual and started getting torque values for wheel lugs/nuts and various other metric fasteners attaching the sub-frame to the machine and those used to keep the subframe together.

Please note we did use his backhoe to dig a trench in VERY dense, sticky and compacted clay. After about 45 minutes of struggling with this task, we stopped that endeavor and found a larger machine to complete the work. During this effort, I began to suspect stuff was loose.

I found only a couple wheel lugs/nuts tightened to the specified torque, but they were not horribly loose. I think they would have been fine. Then I moved onto the subframe fasteners. I determined the torque values by measuring the diameter of the shank as described in the link below. Then, I used the numbers on the bolt head to ascertain what type of bolt I was working on. All were 10.9. Using these two values (shank diameter and bolt type), I looked in the manual at a chart of torque values for various hardware to determine the torque range of each fastener. I went slow and worked each lose fastener up in steps (100 foot pounds, then 130, then 150 and so on).

Metric Bolt Measuring Guide | How to measure a Fastener | Pro-Bolt

Can't sugar coat this one. Only one of the bolts I checked torque on was tightened to specification. In fact, a few were obviously missed during the process of attaching the subframe, loader and backhoe. Many of them turned easily with a small 1/2 drive ratchet over half a turn before they got firm. Two of the fasteners lacked the appropriate flat washers, therefore were unable to provide appropriate clamping pressure on the parts they joined. There is a photo of this as I discovered it. I installed appropriate flat washers and torqued up all his fasteners.

In addition, I found a nut holding the ROPS mounting bolt almost completely spun off the bolt. I tightened all of those bolts/nuts also.

None of the bolt holes were stripped and all tightened up nicely. Also, I didn't see anything odd with holes being oblong as many of the subframe holes are a bit large to aid in assembly.

Anyway, has anyone here discovered anything like this in a new machine? Could all of this had been caused by our 45 minutes of unproductive digging? I'm left scratching my head.

My neighbor is suddenly VERY concerned with the long-term viability of his new tractor. I've had very good service from my Kioti, but I purchased my machine from a very well established dealership. His dealer is very new to the tractor game.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Right front rollbar nut VERY loose.jpg
    Right front rollbar nut VERY loose.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 232
  • No flatwasher.jpg
    No flatwasher.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 252
   / Bolts loose - why? #2  
That is one issue with any piece of equipment,
it is usually assembled by the lowest paid greenest hand many times without adequate instruction.
And I would doubt that they had or used a torque wrench or even torque sticks.

/ Bolts loose - why? #3  
Every piece of equipment i have ever owned had to be retorqued after 10 hours of use, and retorqued every time its serviced. My kioti came with a sticker twist tied on loader arm reminding owner to retorque loader and lug nuts after 10 hours use. All were kinda loose.

As a side note. Im an electrician and i use torque wrench to tighten up main feeder lugs on new panels i install. If i recheck that same lug in a few days, they are always looser than when installed, and i retorque.

/ Bolts loose - why? #4  
Not unusual as discussed above.

My experience has been once torqued to the proper spec, the fasteners will stabilize after a couple of retorques. Having said that, good practice to recheck during normal service intervals.

/ Bolts loose - why? #5  
even bolts on motorcycles loosen up, vibration and stresses..

/ Bolts loose - why? #6  
Vibration on all equipment, nothing new. On all equipment I check bolts I can see and if tehy are loose or critical I remove and use loc-tight on them

/ Bolts loose - why?
Appreciate you thoughts folks. I'll be eyeballing these fasteners again at the 50 hour service.

Be well,
Mike

/ Bolts loose - why? #8  
Bolt should not loosen by them selves, with correct torque and proper engineering.

Don't see people running around big 50t wheel loaders retorque bolts and nuts. Do you check all bolts on your car several times a year? Why does loader brackets get loose?

/ Bolts loose - why? #9  
Bolt should not loosen by them selves, with correct torque and proper engineering.

Don't see people running around big 50t wheel loaders retorque bolts and nuts. Do you check all bolts on your car several times a year? Why does loader brackets get loose?
have no idea....but they do. the worst was after 50 hours of use. now with 1200 hours on it there isnt the same problems. but i still check them

/ Bolts loose - why? #10  
Might be to much flexing in the frame and the tractor it self, did look at a large Fender and there the loader bracket was just bolted in with four bolts on each side. 74-201311517751_540x360.jpg