Boom Gouge

/ Boom Gouge #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I gouged the side of the boom, when I had to upright it with my loader bucket. Post #38 https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/398806-project-i-had-not-planned-4.html?highlight= It is about a 10th of an inch deep. Should I blend out the gouge and weld a bead over it, or just blend it out, or just ignore it? 9-21-18 CAT Boom Gouge.jpg9-21-18 CAT Boom Gouge Closeup.jpg9-21-18 CAT Boom Gouge REAL Close.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ Boom Gouge #2  
I would blend it out but I guess a lot of people would just ignore it.

/ Boom Gouge #3  
I would at minimum, take a sanding disc and remove the sharp edges and repaint it. Weld it up if you want to, but it really isn't hurting the structural integrity at this point.

BTW: while sanding and painting, just sand that rust scab plate and paint it also.

/ Boom Gouge
I would at minimum, take a sanding disc and remove the sharp edges and repaint it. Weld it up if you want to, but it really isn't hurting the structural integrity at this point.

BTW: while sanding and painting, just sand that rust scab plate and paint it also.
Gary,
That rust scab plate is the light mount hole. The bolt is sheared off and still in there. I tried twice to weld a nut on, but it wouldn't hold. I drilled it out and put an easy out in the hole and used the impact to remove the bolt. It is sanded and painted now.
hugs, Brandi

/ Boom Gouge #5  
That's not even worth burning the paint. If you have touchup just cover it.