Boom lift.

/ Boom lift. #1  

currierej

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1810D
I've been looking at building a 3-point boom lift, most of the standard ones use a top link which makes it simply up and down, I've seen a couple that use the boom pole as the top link and have hinged arms down to the lift arms.
This turns the boom pole into a third class lever, it also greatly increases the travel of the tip of the boom pole.
Does anyone have any pros and cons of either design?
I'm leaning towards the lever style, just trying to find out if there's a reason to not build that style.

/ Boom lift. #2  
The fixed style is usually more rugged. While the movable style has more height, and also gets closer to the ground.

/ Boom lift. #3  
When the same hydraulic force moves one style a longer distance, it does it with less force (or lift).

Bruce

/ Boom lift. #4  
Type these words into your search engine

"tractor boom pole design" then select images.

Pick one!

eta

The design from the ag department from the Dakota university makes a lot of sense.

And one thing. make the chain attachment at the boom end "extractable". A tube in a tube works fine. As I heard it from a wise farmer and mill operator, "You will realize why that is a good idea the first time you try to drive away with too much on the hook".

Be safe!

/ Boom lift. #5  
Yep, decide what you need. Do you need max lifting force? or max range of travel. Simple as that

/ Boom lift. #6  
I built this a few years ago. I can put install a bale spear and use a top link for moving round bales, also. It's made from 4" X 1/4" square tubing. That is an Oliver 1555 53HP tractor and I've lifted some pretty heavy things with it. Full height is around 11 feet. I don't know why I can't remove that rotated picture. I can make the pictures larger if anyone is interested. :)
IMG_0459.JPGIMG_0460.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 258
   / Boom lift.
You did the third class lever style, that's what I'm leaning towards.

/ Boom lift. #8  
Re: Boom lift. (Hydraulic)

Put this in my Project File long ago, thought it was a good design:

00000_7OyHdmun2tO_600x450.jpg
01010_agi5uh80Cm9_600x450.jpg