Boom Truck or crane touching power lines.

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #2  
Judging from the lack of frantic activity it appears, hopefully, that no one was injured. If the lift operator does not stand on the ground to operate then the person most at risk in this type of accident is the ground man handling the load. Ya always gotta look up. Note that this contact incident is not pulling enough power from the line to trip the circuit out.

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #3  
I wonder who pays the electric bill on that show.

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #4  
Someones insurance company isn't going to be thrilled with that unfortunate incident.

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #5  
No charge (pun automatic) for the power but the line repair charges to the truck owner will be painful. Especially when added to the out of pocket on the truck.

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #6  
I read several safety briefs on power line trucks. The first job is to ground the truck with grd rod and heavey gage cable. That would have saved the truck. Even if you are not operating on power line, any crane near power gets grounded.

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #7  
Wow! I'll bet the repair bill for the truck & the power lines is a whopper on this one!

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #8  
with all the power the line is pulliing, doesnt the line shut off eventually? tell me HOW the power is jumping from the "sealed" power wire on the pole into the cable and to the truck into the ground? arnt the cables sealed as in you can go up ther and grab them pending their sheilded? im sure theyre not open exposed wires carrying hundreds of thousands of volts lol right?

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #9  
Any covering on overhead HV power lines is just weather proofing not insulation. They are not "sealed" or insulated, that is why they are mounted on porcelain insulators. Most are open exposed wires and they have from 4000 to 34,000 volts on them. These are the HV distribution conductors that feed the pole transformers that step the voltage down to the 120/240V used in structures.

The line will trip (turn off) when the fault current is sufficiently high for long enough. The power being supplied in that video is not a high enough current for long enough to trip the line.

Transmission line are even higher voltages being from 69kv to 750kv. However the protective relaying on these lines is very sensitive and very fast.

All power lines must be treated as if they are not insulated and are energized.

/ Boom Truck or crane touching power lines. #10  
Sooner or later, that fire could get nasty too.

I sure wouldn't want to be in that bucket if the plume of smoke drifted over it.