Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
My little 24hp sub-compact is struggling to maintain rpm‘s when pulling a 4-foot tiller or 1-bottom moldboard through the garden. I have just about decided it’s too small for my purposes, though I like it’s tight dimensions. Is this consistent behavior for such a small tractor? Do they all wimp out, or is my engine failing to produce the horsepower it should? Last tractor I owned was 3X this large; this is my first tiny machine.

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #2  
Make sure that you are in low gear. Sometimes just have to go slower, even with larger tractors, or even make multiple passes.

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #3  
Usually with subcompacts doing ground engagement work the tractor runs out of TRACTION. Even with 4-WD engaged, the rear wheels spin because subcompact tractors are so light, generally 1,200 to 1,800 pounds bare tractor weight.

My 24hp sub-compact tractor is struggling to maintain rpm‘s when pulling a 4-foot tiller or 1-bottom moldboard through the garden.

IS THE PARKING BRAKE OFF?

Expand on this. Twenty-four horsepower should be ample.
Are you plowing at nearly full throttle? Boomer 24 full power is not developed until 2,700 rpm.

How wide is your plow? A 16" plow might be a bit much. A 12" plow or a 14" plow should be fine in moist soil.

Is the roto-tiller forward tine rotation or reverse tine rotation?

New Holland Boomer 24​

Dimensions
Length:103.6 inches
263 cm
Width:43.8 inches
111 cm
Shiping weight:1832 lbs
830 kg

Last edited:
   / Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #4  
Your tractor has only 16.7 hp at the pto. So, yes the 4' tiller is going to be slower than grandma in your midwest soil. And, if your tiller is a "reverse tine direction" model it is probably stop & go speed only.

But it should handle a 12" moldboard plow in the garden just fine, as long as you can get enough traction.

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #5  
Make sure that you are in low gear. Sometimes just have to go slower, even with larger tractors, or even make multiple passes.
I am NEVER in a hurry when using a tractor. Slow and steady wins the race and gets the job done without hurting me or the equipment. For many of us this tractor thing is a hobby, slow down, enjoy it. I actually enjoy figuring out how to do a thing with limited equipment/resources. Anyone can throw money at a problem. What’s the challenge in that?

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #6  
I had a tractor the same size as yours with a 12” moldboard plow and 54” rototiller. I could never plow deep enough in our heavy clay soil with that tractor. At full depth, the tractor would come to a stop. The rototiller worked fine.

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling
Why haven't you answered the questions in Post #3?
Oops. My mistake.

Yes, the parking brake is off, although it wont hurt to climb under there and make sure the linkage is free and clear.

Yes I plow at full throttle.

I use a Titan 14” moldboard with a coulter blade and height gauge wheel.
I use a Titan 4’ offset tiller. Forward tines.

Thanks again!

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #8  
Oops. My mistake.

Yes, the parking brake is off, although it wont hurt to climb under there and make sure the linkage is free and clear.

Yes I plow at full throttle.

I use a Titan 14” moldboard with a coulter blade and height gauge wheel.
I use a Titan 4’ offset tiller. Forward tines.

Thanks again!
You should have no issues with the tiller. The plow will struggle with your tractor unless the soil is easy to turn. Unless you need to chop old vegetation, remove the coulter and try that.

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #9  
My buddy has the same tractor but LS brand. It is a little beast and should handle that. To echo others: low range? place tractor on level ground in neutral - can you rock it a bit (confirm brake is released), check plow to make sure it is aligned properly - not diving too deep or somehow angled sideways. In low range you should be able to slip the rear wheels; pretty sure you should slip in four wheel drive also.

Sure sounds like you are in high range... stupid thought but is the sticker for h / L on the wrong way ? :rolleyes: On my tractor the 2wd / 4wd was sticker was on wrong. I am sure you would figure this out from experience but just a suggestion...

/ Boomer 24 wimping out when plowing/tilling #10  
My buddy has the same tractor but LS brand. It is a little beast and should handle that. To echo others: low range? place tractor on level ground in neutral - can you rock it a bit (confirm brake is released), check plow to make sure it is aligned properly - not diving too deep or somehow angled sideways. In low range you should be able to slip the rear wheels; pretty sure you should slip in four wheel drive also.

Sure sounds like you are in high range... stupid thought but is the sticker for h / L on the wrong way ? :rolleyes: On my tractor the 2wd / 4wd was sticker was on wrong. I am sure you would figure this out from experience but just a suggestion...
I used to have a geared JD tractor of that size. In 4wd, low, 1st or any gear, it wouldn’t turn clay soil without bogging down. Light tractor and low hp. The tiller worked great on that tractor.