boomer 24

/ boomer 24 #1  

4tillingdirt

Silver Member
Tractor
N/A
What do you all think about the latest Boomer 24? I was debating between it or going large with a boomer 45. I know that is quite a bit of size difference, but I always have that what if I need something larger working in the back of my mind. I guess the 24 would do fine for putting out mulch, plugging/sowing yard and some light loader work, but not sure how good it will do with a box scrape.

/ boomer 24 #2  
Do you plan on keeping your TC40? If so I would go with the smaller tractor for getting in the tight places or doing yard work around the house. If you are trading in the TC40 or are selling it I would definitely go with the bigger tractor. You will miss not having that same size and power you are used to. I don't know a whole lot about the new Boomer 24's. I wish New Holland was still making the same tractors they were putting out in the early 2000's. I have not been impressed with the newer Boomer series tractors.

/ boomer 24
Sorry - I don't have a TC40. That is in my description but I must have put it there by mistake. I was just thinking in a cost/usage mind frame. Trying to justify paying twice as much for a boomer 45 vs a boomer 24. I just don't want to get something so small that I regret it later.

/ boomer 24 #4  
Bigger is typically better unless you have specific size restrictions like a low garage door, tight horse stall to get into, etc.

A 45 hp tractor will do work many times quicker than a 24 hp tractor as long as weight is relative between the two.

/ boomer 24 #5  
Much depends on the lay of your land. Most of our land here is uneven, though not steep and I think a bigger tractor will do better than my TC 26 DA, but I don't use it for mowing much, and will probably use a bigger machine not at all for mowing. I do lust for (LOL) that third hydro range, as I often find myself in between speeds. Stronger loader is a very big thing for me. If you ever get into popping rocks out of the ground so you can mow better, or using the loader for gravel for your driveway, you'll appreciate the stronger loader. Another reason I want a bigger machine is to run a decent sized chipper/shredder, most of which require more than the 19 PTO hp I have. The 24 should be a great mowing machine on a graded lawn, and move small stuff around nicely for you. You also save a lot of money on that size by not having to pay for the pollution stuff, and it'll probably sip fuel very kindly. Much depends on how much you trust your local dealer. On the 24, I'd compare the small Kubota machines, BXs and B 22/26, before putting down the dough if there is a decent dealer.
We used to have a dealer here that was an authorized dealer for NH, Kubota and White, and it would sure be nice if there was still such a thing today. Now the dealers are all big and not local, and brand specific.

/ boomer 24 #6  
Tell us more about what you plan on using the tractor for, how much land do you have.
The 45 series is a small farm tractor. If you need to mow your yard look at the 35 series which has the mid-pto option for mower and a front snow blower.
The loader lift spec's look good in my opinion.

/ boomer 24 #7  
As far as a box scraper, my 26 does a decent job, but definitely doesn't like a full box of gravel in a 5 foot box. The Boomer 24 should do fine with light box scraping on a decent gravel drive that isn't too long. If you're looking at a quarter mile, you'll be asking a lot, but again, with patience and small bites it will do well.
Thing is, if you buy the 24 and end up wanting a bigger machine, youi'll be looking at new implements or working implements that don't cover the wheels - exactly the situation I am in. I think I might get by with a five foot box blade but probably will want a six foot snow thrower. In any case, if I buy the tractor, I won't be upgrading implements any time soon.
Another thing to consider is cost of implements. My five foot box blade is a cheap one from TSC and it works fine. The exact same blade in a six footer drew a lot of criticism in the reviews from people who said they weren't strong enough, and bent. Maybe if I get enough power to drag mine around with a really full box, it might bend too..

/ boomer 24 #8  
I'll chime in late here to say that the Boomer 24 is capable of a lot more work than you might think. Ours is definitely not a "backyard" machine. We use it in our small commercial herb and flower operation with a tiller, subsoiler, below-grade drip irrigation layer, bed shaper, mulch layer, water wheel planter, and precision cultivator. We bought what we could pay for in cash, and it's true that if we'd had more money we might have gone larger. My last New Holland was a 75hp, and the shorter and narrower wheelbase of the Boomer 24 can make steering straight lines a little more difficult. I think it also affects the ride. But all that aside, the little tractor definitely pulls its weight. Without it we could not do what we do. Look at Buckeye Tractor for horticultural implements. They make a lot of attachments for this size machine.

/ boomer 24 #9  
Also, am I crazy, or does MiserableOldFart's avatar show him in traditional German attire giving the nazi salute? Is this just a joke in poor taste? Why use it for a user account? Sheesh.