Boomer 8N won't move

/ Boomer 8N won't move #1  

spsteve

Tractor
Massey Harris Ferguson TO-35, CNH Boomer 8N
I went out to use my 2010 Boomer 8N yesterday and found that the tractor starts right up but won't move an inch in either forward or reverse.

No error code but the 'hourglass' stays in the display ever after the tractor is started. I can't remember if it was there all of the time but I don't think so as I have seen other messages appear there like 'RP' and 'N'.

Waiting to hear back from the dealer.

/ Boomer 8N won't move #2  
I'm sure glad your warranty has not expired yet. I bet ya it'll be something simple like a sensor/ interlock or such more in electronic nature.

Jc,

/ Boomer 8N won't move #3  
Start your tractor and with the shifter in neutral,press the go pedal. If you don't get a "RP" code,you're likely to have a bad go-pedal. You can reboot your ADIC by removing the fuse for a minute or so then re-installing. It may help if it's some kind of computer glitch.

If you try the reboot,the tractor must be switched to "on".

/ Boomer 8N won't move #4  
.... reminds me of why I don't like fly by wire systems ...

soundguy

/ Boomer 8N won't move #5  
Kind of sad that it's called an "8N". It doesn't sound like it has any resemblance. :thumbdown:

/ Boomer 8N won't move #6  
none whatsoever... in fact.. it's an anti-8n.

boomer 8n vs old 8n

diesel vs gas
live power, both pto and hyds vs non live
4wd vs 2wd
cvt tranny vs non synchro gear
rops vs no rops

list goes on and on.

about the only thing that is even remotely the same is there is some red / grey coloration and 2 letter in the 'name' :(

soundguy

/ Boomer 8N won't move #7  
It seems, that they tried to capitalize on the fame of the "8N", which came from it's reliability, flexibility and workability. I doubt, that 9 out of 10 "8N"s sold, ever got back to the dealers for trouble or service. ... 60 years later, they are still running strong! :thumbsup:

/ Boomer 8N won't move #8  
what i doubt is that you will have the same 'surviving' percentage of boomer 8ns running around 50-70ys later as you now do have N's running around.
over 500K 8n's alone produced, and when you add in 9n and 2n production, you are pushing 3/4 of a mil...

and a HEFTY % of them still working...

soundguy

/ Boomer 8N won't move
Start your tractor and with the shifter in neutral,press the go pedal. If you don't get a "RP" code,you're likely to have a bad go-pedal. You can reboot your ADIC by removing the fuse for a minute or so then re-installing. It may help if it's some kind of computer glitch.

If you try the reboot,the tractor must be switched to "on".

Thanks for the suggestion. I disconnected the battery for a few hours and reconnected it. No change except for the clock went to zero and I probably erased the programming but it still won't move.

The engine revs when the 'go' pedal is depressed. The tractor 'knows' the shuttle lever is in forward or reverse because it does the shut down thing if I get off the seat with it out of neutral.

/ Boomer 8N won't move #10  
If you tried the test I suggested with the shifter in neutral and got no warning on the cluster,your go-pedal is bad or has a connection problem. We had many bad pedals at the factory,that's what I base my theory on.