Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend?

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
Fairly new to the rural life. Quickly learning sneakers do not cut it for most things I am doing on the property. I have a pair of Keen Durand boots and I like them but I am looking for a second pair. I learned from my time in the military that it is good practise to rotate boots.

So I am looking for recommendations from the people out there. Just fyi I don't skimp on footwear or mattresses as most of my life is spent in one or the other :)

So whatcha got and whatcha recommend

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #2  
What kind of work? Love my White's for forestry and some tractor stuff but if it's commonly muddy I won't wear them in that, Muck boots are pretty good but hot, lots of options depending on the need.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend?
What kind of work? Love my White's for forestry and some tractor stuff but if it's commonly muddy I won't wear them in that, Muck boots are pretty good but hot, lots of options depending on the need.
So I would say general yard work, tractor work, lawn mowing etc. I have ~85 acres I am taking care of now so I will have some future tree work, general cleanup and a small ~1 acre garden. Looking for something that will handle feet getting wet from dew, small puddles and a little mud. Nothing to heavy but durable. I feel the sole of my durand are wearing to fast because I think they are meant more for hiking but time will tell.

tl:dr a general "work" boot style I guess is what I am looking for. Also interested in what others use/like.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend?
   / Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #6  
project farm recently did a boot test. the keen workboots were highly rated. i may try a pair of their slip ons next time. i do like my current wolverines, and they were my favorite while working offshore in the oil industry. I did not know keen was making stuff in the USA. wolverine is based in Rockford, Michigan and also has some made in USA stuff. i wore out redwings and several other brands before i settled on the wolverines, and I used them for my last few years in the field. composite toe.

i doubt any manufacture has all the components come form the USA. thread, rubber, foam, leather, laces, eyelets, etc.

Last edited:
   / Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #7  
For mud, I like the Gemplers "Brown Bear" rubber (PVC) work boots, comes in steel toed and not. Their tread is really good about shedding mud.

Leather...sorry. I don't have a recommendation.

All the best,

Peter

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #8  
During the dry times - a low cut pair of Keens. When & if it ever gets wet - Mucks. Winter - Sorels.

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #9  
My everyday work boots are Red Wing upper leather with composite toe, for out side snow/rain work Mucks are used. The Red wings are water resistance where as the Muck are water proof. Also use motorcycle boots as well.

Dave

/ Boots, what are you wearing, what do you recommend? #10  
+1 on the wolverines (or its sister brand: Bates). I have had a few pairs of each that have held up relatively well and I tend to be rather rough on footwear. However, needing a wider shoe/boot also cuts down on the brands that could/would fit my feet so. 🤷‍♂️

Have also learned it's worth getting footwear that fits both length and width when new as it makes for longer wearing and a more comfortable time - and that's especially true with any type of safety toe footwear.

Though whichever brand you get, if you start frequently snapping boot laces it might be worth getting a pair of kevlar laces (while they aren't cheap, they can/do outlast the boots).