Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One )

/ Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One ) #21  
View attachment 523868

I tried the first time. Guess I did something wrong. How's This
IMG_20180201_084510881_HDR.jpg

/ Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One ) #23  
I'm new to TractorByNet forums but what a tremendous resource. I came across this thread and thought I would respond hoping someone could answer a question. I too have a MF35 Industrial Utility ( Gas ). Does anyone know what type of antifreeze to use for it?

/ Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One ) #24  
Hi Rob,

I use regular old fashioned green antifreeze in my MF35 utility gas. Not extended life, not pink colored, nothing fancy. Just cheap ol' antifreeze. Sometimes I buy the premixed 50/50 if I'm feeling lazy or it's cheap.

Next time it might be better if you start your own thread for questions. One question tends to lead to another and having your own thread makes it easier to keep track of. Welcome to the forum!

/ Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One ) #25  
Hi Rob,

I use regular old fashioned green antifreeze in my MF35 utility gas. Not extended life, not pink colored, nothing fancy. Just cheap ol' antifreeze. Sometimes I buy the premixed 50/50 if I'm feeling lazy or it's cheap.

Next time it might be better if you start your own thread for questions. One question tends to lead to another and having your own thread makes it easier to keep track of. Welcome to the forum!

Yep, agreed on all aspects. I use distilled water and mix at 50/50. That said, I use distilled because I have very hard well water. I see what it does to my faucets, I don’t want that all happening in my cooling system.

Welcome to the forum, Rob!

/ Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One ) #27  
Are you trying to get the nuts off the studs or studs from the head?

/ Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One ) #28  
Put me down as a fan of acetone/ATF. I use refillable aerosol cans and always shake before using. But the candle trick sounds worth trying.

I have a Massey 204. I read that the 202, 203, 204, and 205 are industrial versions of the MF35, made from 1959 through 1965. I guess that MF35 Utility fits in between.

The guy who sold me my 204 bought it with backhoe separate, and he never used it. I picked up the backhoe separately. I have my work cut out for me to resurrect that big old sliding kingpost backhoe.

Going from memory of what I read, I believe the 202 and 204 have Continental gas, while 203 and 205 have Perkins diesel power. I believe the 202 and 203 have standard transmissions, while 204 and 205 have Revers-O-Matic ahead of a four speed two lever gearbox that does not have its own reverse. On mine, stepping on the reverse pedal with PTO engaged will instantly reverse the direction of PTO rotation.

Does that gas powered MF35 Utility have a standard transmission? My old MF204 is a learning experience. I converted to a spin-on oil filter, but need to find something better than a Fram PB50, maybe NAPA Gold or Wix. I found a one-wire alternator with tach/hourmeter drive at Yesterdays Tractor. I just need to install that to replace the dead generator. At least the gauges are standard size, so replacements should be easy. They sell a seal kit for the power steering that pukes fluid, but getting to it will be a bear. Good thing I retired, huh? 🙂

/ Bought a 1964 MF35 Industrial Utility / Turf ( The Yellow One ) #29  
Put me down as a fan of acetone/ATF. I use refillable aerosol cans and always shake before using. But the candle trick sounds worth trying.

I have a Massey 204. I read that the 202, 203, 204, and 205 are industrial versions of the MF35, made from 1959 through 1965. I guess that MF35 Utility fits in between.

The guy who sold me my 204 bought it with backhoe separate, and he never used it. I picked up the backhoe separately. I have my work cut out for me to resurrect that big old sliding kingpost backhoe.

Going from memory of what I read, I believe the 202 and 204 have Continental gas, while 203 and 205 have Perkins diesel power. I believe the 202 and 203 have standard transmissions, while 204 and 205 have Revers-O-Matic ahead of a four speed two lever gearbox that does not have its own reverse. On mine, stepping on the reverse pedal with PTO engaged will instantly reverse the direction of PTO rotation.

Does that gas powered MF35 Utility have a standard transmission? My old MF204 is a learning experience. I converted to a spin-on oil filter, but need to find something better than a Fram PB50, maybe NAPA Gold or Wix. I found a one-wire alternator with tach/hourmeter drive at Yesterdays Tractor. I just need to install that to replace the dead generator. At least the gauges are standard size, so replacements should be easy. They sell a seal kit for the power steering that pukes fluid, but getting to it will be a bear. Good thing I retired, huh? ��

You're pretty on point with all aspects as far as I can tell.

My MF35 Utility has a 3 speed transmission, plus reverse. It has HI/LO gears, and mine has the shuttle shift. Say I'm in 3rd gear low, I press clutch, throw the shuttle forward and you're in 3rd gear forward, press clutch, throw shifter back and I'm in 3rd lo reverse. It's great for loader work.

Does that for any gear, so I have essentially six gear options in forward/reverse. (Though, trust me, there's no need for Reverse 3rd Hi gear. That's downright terrifying hahaha)

PTO does not change direction on mine, that's a reverse-o-matic thing.

For what it's worth, some of the BEST upgrades I did to my 35 Utility were electronic ignition and tach-drive alternator. I also converted to a spin-on filter.

Power steering on these can be an absolute bear to deal with. I'm assuming yours is puking out the top of the column?