Bought a axe to my self as Jule present

/ Bought a axe to my self as Jule present #21  
Awesome, I found out a long time ago, the best gifts one can receive, are the ones that are bought for themselves.

Last edited:
   / Bought a axe to my self as Jule present
That's the problem, it was plowed up somewhere for a very long time ago, no one knows where as all that did know is long since dead.

But I'm sure there is a lot in the ground, this area was a center for several earls and the father of the first Norwegian king drowned in the lake here ca in the year 860.

We have some quit old churches and houses that still is in use .

Those two churches are built early in the 1100, we have also a stone ring here from the stone age.
250px-Sisterchurches_at_Gran.jpg
Bilden%2C_Hadeland.jpg

/ Bought a axe to my self as Jule present #23  
That's very interesting.
Historians in my land say there were some Scandinavian shape axes found by archeologists. It shows, that there were some kind of ties among the countries.

/ Bought a axe to my self as Jule present #24  
Now I'm using an OxHead imported from Germany.
I know you probably know the high end Stihl overstrike collared axes and mauls are made by Oxhead aka Ochsenkopf . The Stihl marked ones are way cheaper around here . The OxHeads /yellow are way more, at least around here. Heres the two I own they were $107 each OTD . Money well spent imo .

Attachments

• prosplitaxe.png
    prosplitaxe.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 72
  • prosplitmaul.png
    prosplitmaul.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 75
   / Bought a axe to my self as Jule present #25  
Nice axe. It would be interesting to see it's manufacture.

I saw a documentary a while back about making metal armour from scratch. Steel must have been very expensive, back in the good ole days!

/ Bought a axe to my self as Jule present #26  
+1 for Fiskars. I got one of their hammers a decade ago, and it was a revelation. Truly shock absorbing. I have put a pair of their lopping shears through heavy work every year and it is still running, despite some of my friends and relatives' best efforts. I mean how do you put divots in a blade clipping a tree limb? Never happens to me, so I know it isn't bad steel.

I restored an antique double bit cruising axe as a kid, and it was awesome. Halfway through a six inch tree sounds about right. Boy, I miss that axe as it was such an effective tool in the woods. (My dad kept it when I moved out and later gave it to my cousin.) In former times, there were many more specialty axes with defined uses. I love paging through Early American Tools seeing how function altered form.

All the best,

Peter

I dated a girl from Bergen when I was in HS. She was an exchange student. I have had a fondness for Norge ever since. Jeg elsker Signe.

I was surprised you had to buy an axe in Norge. It seems something like that would be passed from father to son or purchased as a coming of age gift. Sort of a cultural right of passage. :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the ancient axe heads. It is always amazing to me how effective many of the tools and concepts were before industrialization.

God jul, @Agvg . Your present to yourself is wonderful.
Have a lot of axes, old and new, both my grandfathers lived of the land, one a farmer and the other worked in the forest almost all his life so I have the tools they left behind them.

My farm is a two hour drive from Bergen

/ Bought a axe to my self as Jule present #28  
I know you probably know the high end Stihl overstrike collared axes and mauls are made by Oxhead aka Ochsenkopf . The Stihl marked ones are way cheaper around here . The OxHeads /yellow are way more, at least around here. Heres the two I own they were $107 each OTD . Money well spent imo .
I paid about that for my Oxhead, but it came across the border from a Canadian supply company. It’s still nowhere near as good as my first Oxhead though, which had a long thin head which sharpened easily yet held an edge well.
Somebody took that and my other good axe one day. That was my own fault though for trusting people when I went into “civilization.”

That's very interesting.
Historians in my land say there were some Scandinavian shape axes found by archeologists. It shows, that there were some kind of ties among the countries.
Scandinavian ship building technology combined whit a combination of warrior and tradesmen carry the Vikings fare away, to America, deep in to Russia, invading large parts of UK and France, helped to establish Russia as a nation, as far as I know the Vikings might have named Russia as the area was called Rus by them, had large trading post in Poland and probably in your country to. They probably also traded with the Arabic world as both Arabic coins and other Muslim artwork is found. And finish it with the Norman invasion of England in 1066, but then they were becoming a bit french ;).

/ Bought a axe to my self as Jule present #30  
I have a Fiskars hatchet that is very well made and great to use. It was made in Finland and gifted to me by a visiting relative.