Bought a Challenger MT285B

/ Bought a Challenger MT285B #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Hasn't arrived yet, but I just sent the funds to the seller and arranged shipping. Should be here by saturday night.:)

It's an '05 Challenger MT285B 4x4 48HP hydrostatic, cab, ML40B h/d loader, 2 rear remotes, R-4's. 726 hours. Should be perfect for raking, scraping & cleaning up jobsites.

Needs a few 3pt hitch parts has a few sheared off bolts to fix and has a few small dings in the hood, but I believe I pulled off the deal of the century. ;)

Thanks to TBN member B8FISH (Todd) for scouting it over for me 500 miles away in upstate New York! Thanks Todd! :)

/ Bought a Challenger MT285B #2  
Builder,
I can help support your parts needs for your new purchase if needed.

/ Bought a Challenger MT285B
Builder,
I can help support your parts needs for your new purchase if needed.

Great! I already have a list!
Some 3pt hitch pieces are missing and I have a rather ridiculous quote from Ransome CAT to add a 3rd valve to the front end loader. They want $900 for the parts alone. I paid $775 for parts AND labor on my Kubota just 2 years ago.

I want to do the 3rd function remote on the loader joystick. Got those parts?

/ Bought a Challenger MT285B #4  
congrats on the new tractor! i've always liked the few Challenger tractors i saw, just don't have a dealer close by. the highway department has a few in operation and seem to be doing really well(and you know how those tractors get treated!)

After unloading last night at ~8 PM, I finally got a look at it this morning. I'd say it's a 7-7.5 out of 10, which is better than I expected considering the price I paid. It's no Kubota or Deere, but it's more than enough tractor for what I'll be using it for.

Starts right up & runs great. 3 range hydrostatic.

It's gonna be a work in progress. Missing a few bolts. Needs a stereo, but already has 2 speakers. Hood's a little beat-up. Missing clips that hold the air cleaner lid on the air cleaner assembly.

I'll get some pictures up today.

Here's some photos of the Challenger:

Below: Now here's the photos of the rear of the tractor & the remotes, notice the power beyond circuit that once was hooked to the backhoe on the right of the 3 pt top link:

Below: Here's a few of the position control. Notice the slot closer to the seat. This is where I'd expect to see the lever to raise the 3pt arms. Notice the 2 rear remote levers. One of them now raises/lowers the 3pt.

Last edited:
   / Bought a Challenger MT285B #7  
Tractor looks good to me, like you said minor stuff to take care of. Any chance of you letting us know just what the cost was?

You probably won't believe me, but I paid $14,850.

After looking at cab/CUT 4x4 Hydrostatic utility tractors with loaders for 1.5 years, I couldn't find anything even close to it for under $22,000, not to mention $15,000.

I was about to buy a Kubota L3430 for $20,500, which is a much smaller 34HP tractor, but a better quality unit when I came across this one.

I think it will need about $500-$1,000 to get the 3pt stabilizer assembly missing parts and a few sheared bolts easied-out, but even adding $1,000 in work I think I still came out way ahead.

Of course, there could be something significant not working or broken, but I haven't seen anything yet other than the remotes & 3pt being kinda weird.

/ Bought a Challenger MT285B #9  
Price sounds good. I've always been afraid to buy used sight unseen myself. I would love to find a 275B. Good luck with your new rig.

/ Bought a Challenger MT285B #10  
Back in 2003 when I bought my John Deere 4310 I looked at the Cat Challengers, but the one I looked at was, I believe, a 34 hp model. The Cat that I looked at was made by Iseki of Japan and was identical to a Massey Ferguson and an AGCO. The only difference was color. The AGCO quote I got was around $14K, the Massey $17K and the CAT was $22K. I asked the dealer why and he said because of the CAT quality. I asked him about it being a rebadged Iseki and being the same as the others. All he could say was CAT is superior. Don't get me wrong, Iseki is a great tractor and in turn the CAT is. What I am saying here is "Wow, you got a great deal". I hope you get many great hours out of it.