Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep?

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I bought a BX25D initially and swapped it real fast to a new 2018 B2650 TLB and loved it until the rear end ring gear failed (under warranty), so I traded it for a new 2021 L3560 cab TLB. I have 125 hours on it, paid around $56K for it, and the state has come in and killed my project that was the reason for this larger machine. It looks like I am done. I owe around $20K on the L3560 a year later, so still paying Kubota monthly, but now I have no real use for such a machine. I had planned to use it heavy over 2022-2024 to finish my project, and figured I would maybe downsize after that point and likely have 600-800 hours on it. So I am stuck in a mental tough spot. I can keep it and just know that it is there when I want or need it, but that is not often. Or sell and go back down to a B2650/LX2610 sized machine and still not use it much, still be able to grab it when needed, but not have almost $60K sitting in a garage.

How would you look at this?

Attachments

• 20211111_141506.jpg
    20211111_141506.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 238
  • 20211217_165721.jpg
    20211217_165721.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 227
   / Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #2  
If it were me, I’d put it up for sale. If there are still shortages, you may get a nice price. If we go into a recession, may be harder to sell (and tough to write a check each month).

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #3  
What did they shutdown if you dont mind me asking? Could to scale back the project and get the go ahead?

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #4  
If you downsize with a similar B2650 with BH (new) will be ~ $35K range, then with what you owe $20K on the L3560 you have $35K of equity considering zero depreciation on the L3560.

Check with your dealer to see what trade value you have towards a smaller unit - you might find you still need to come up with $4-5K and then have a smaller machine, no cab etc. If they want more money just keep the L3560 IMO.

As I recall from your posts you have been filling in a large ravine around your house and leveling it out - will they let you finish grade and plant grass etc. or is it a total "stop work" case?

What about the new shed you bought - is that still on or is that impacted by the state's decision too?

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep?
If you downsize with a similar B2650 with BH (new) will be ~ $35K range, then with what you owe $20K on the L3560 you have $35K of equity considering zero depreciation on the L3560.

Check with your dealer to see what trade value you have towards a smaller unit - you might find you still need to come up with $4-5K and then have a smaller machine, no cab etc. If they want more money just keep the L3560 IMO.

As I recall from your posts you have been filling in a large ravine around your house and leveling it out - will they let you finish grade and plant grass etc. or is it a total "stop work" case?

What about the new shed you bought - is that still on or is that impacted by the state's decision too?
The shed is a go. The state essentially told me that if another dump truck pulls into my property, they will bring the Army Corps of Engineers in with Excavators and remove everything I did and bill me a couple million $$.

We got shut down in the late spring this year as some idiot called me and 5 others doing fill work in to the EPA. Once they came and saw that in the bottom of the ravine there is a "creek" (water run off caldron from road run off) that flows equal to or greater than 3 times a year.... I was done at that point.

So we have to go buy 400' of 12" erosion sock and stakes, get those installed and inspected. Then we were allowed to bring in a couple triaxles of screened top soil and manually throw/spread it. Then I had to rent a hydroseed machine and spend around $1500 for the hydroseed, fertilizer and mulch to spray it all, then a truck load of straw and some straw blanket rolls. Then brought in a triaxle and a half of #3 to build a berm along the top edges to break up any rain water flow that could erode trenches. Now we have abut 2' of grass over the entire fill edge down to the old retired road.

I attached a somewhat dated early 2021 sat image with a white measurement line that approximates the silt sock placement and current extent of the driveway widening project. I did manage to end up with a 110'-130' wide driveway, so that is a win. When I started, the asphalt was placed to the edge of the steep ravine. Now Triaxles pull in and do a U-Turn in the upper driveway, I can pull the fifth wheel down back and point to the woods with the truck and back it straight to the house and lower level garages.

Where you see the mowers, the new 12x30 shed will be to the laft of that area, the back will face the 3.5 acre side yard. So the tall doors on the 12' tall and 30' long wall will face the 200' mark on the measurement line. The smaller set of doors will face the lower garages on the house. The roof will slant back to the 8' tall wall that is facing the side yard.

I may try next year to pay an engineer to draw up an erosion and settlement plan and attempt to get a permit to push out further into the side yard. I had planned 40' further into the yard and keeping the extension into the woods at the same distance from the house, but widen it by that 40' more. As it is, I can fit my 3 trailers in that "cove" out by the woods behind the house.... out of sight from the public. My goal has been to create as much useable flat area as possible and to be able hide my stuff out of site. I like the front to be "clean", just the house and landscaping.

So for now, I am being told that this is the end of my fun. I learned some other lessons here as well. When they count SQ/FT of land disturbed, they start at 1989 when the house was built and add in the creation of the foundation, the creation of the driveway... every sq/ft that was ever disturbed got added into my current project. I find this be crap, but they are saying that this is how they look at it.

Attachments

• Driveway Project.jpg
    Driveway Project.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 341
   / Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #6  
Just list it for 10,000 and maybe get a quick sale. Then pay the rest off over the next coming year's or decades. I hope you'll learn a good lesson.

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep?
Just list it for 10,000 and maybe get a quick sale. Then pay the rest off over the next coming year's or decades. I hope you'll learn a good lesson.
Now that right there is funny! A comedian!

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #8  
Now that right there is funny! A comedian!
Well, they say bought lessons are the ones most learned. That's exactly how mine usually work out. Most times I have to pay them so I can leave, instead of me getting paid, and hitch hike back home. Count up my change, all to get into the next "good deal". Nowadays though, I'm a purdy fart smeller, I have learned my lessons.

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #9  
Well good - you got most of what you wanted but didn't get it all - the positive aspect is you didn't get fined or told to remove it!

Back on topic of keeping or selling the L3560 I would lean to keep it - you likely will lose $ trading down and will still spend a few thousand and have less tractor. Pay it off, then decide in two years if you want to sell it then buy a smaller machine that fits your needs.

/ Bought a new L3560, state shut down the project. Sell or keep? #10  
Sell it for whatever you can to recover some of the costs.