Bought my 1st tractor....need help!

/ Bought my 1st tractor....need help! #1  

WILL1E

Tractor
Ford 8XX
New to the forum....new to tractors...and now a new tractor owner!

Been looking for a tractor to do some work at our remote property in NE Wisconsin. Mainly to create, prep and maintain a gravel driveway into the property.
After a few weeks of looking i finally found one for a decent price and picked it up yesterday and already dropped it off at our land which is 2hrs away from my home.

In the fluster of everything that happened yesterday i forgot to take a picture of the markings on the tractor to know what model it is. It's a 5 speed and i'm pretty sure it's a 1955. What i don't know is if it is a 850 or 860...any ideas?!

The loader i believe is made by Wagner...not sure which model it is.

The issues at hand right now:
-The power steering isn't working. It's a belt driven pump but i don't know how to tell what to replace or where to start troubleshooting.
-Secondly, i want to replace all the fluids. Even though the hour meter only says 167..i don't know if that's accurate. I found a manual that calls out SAE 80 for the tranny and rear diff, SAE 20 for the engine and M-4864-A for the hydraulics. I can't seem to find any of those numbers when i look at tractor supply and fleet farm.
-Lastly, both lift cylinders on the loader have slow leaks. The rods/shafts of the cylinders aren't rusty at all and don't feel scored or anything. Does this require a full rebuid?

I'm handy and mechanically inclined, i just don't know squat about tractors and i'm looking for some guidance!

/ Bought my 1st tractor....need help! #3  
Welcome to TBN. I often use Messick's for parts. It is easy to look up parts, price, and availability. If it is an 850 here is the parts page. My local dealer is an 88 mile round trip so I order from Messick's if my local dealer doesn't have what I need in stock. I end up paying for shipping either way if it has to be ordered .

I use NH fluids and filters. I don't put that many hours on a tractor each year so I don't have to change them that often. The little extra I pay for NH brand fluids and filters is worth it not having to hassle with matching off brand filter numbers or fluid compatibility. Messick's parts department or your local NH dealer can help with filters or fluids.

I recently had the local NH dealer rebuild a FEL cylinder for my TC40DA that was leaking around the shaft seal. Cost was $100 with me removing the cylinder and dropping it off. I changed the 2 hoses at the same time, they were $50 each. They had some wear from the bucket level rod rubbing on them for 15 or more years. That was the same price to have the cylinder rebuilt or hoses made locally.

/ Bought my 1st tractor....need help! #6  
New to the forum....new to tractors...and now a new tractor owner!

Been looking for a tractor to do some work at our remote property in NE Wisconsin. Mainly to create, prep and maintain a gravel driveway into the property.
After a few weeks of looking i finally found one for a decent price and picked it up yesterday and already dropped it off at our land which is 2hrs away from my home.

In the fluster of everything that happened yesterday i forgot to take a picture of the markings on the tractor to know what model it is. It's a 5 speed and i'm pretty sure it's a 1955. What i don't know is if it is a 850 or 860...any ideas?!

The loader i believe is made by Wagner...not sure which model it is.

The issues at hand right now:
-The power steering isn't working. It's a belt driven pump but i don't know how to tell what to replace or where to start troubleshooting.
-Secondly, i want to replace all the fluids. Even though the hour meter only says 167..i don't know if that's accurate. I found a manual that calls out SAE 80 for the tranny and rear diff, SAE 20 for the engine and M-4864-A for the hydraulics. I can't seem to find any of those numbers when i look at tractor supply and fleet farm.
-Lastly, both lift cylinders on the loader have slow leaks. The rods/shafts of the cylinders aren't rusty at all and don't feel scored or anything. Does this require a full rebuid?

I'm handy and mechanically inclined, i just don't know squat about tractors and i'm looking for some guidance!

Congrats on your purchase... I would be tempted to put that piece of tractor machinery away as an 'artistic' appreciation relic... it is awful pretty in that nostalgic sense, lol... grey and red ~ very nice looking rig!