Box Blade Build Questions

/ Box Blade Build Questions #1  

Scotty370

Platinum Member
Tractor
318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"
I've been looking/pricing a BoxBlade 60-66" for my JD4200. Prices and quality seem to be all over the park! Seems like it would be a straight forward home project. Anyone have plans they'd like to share? I did a search but couldn't fine what I'm looking for. Or, doesn't it make financial sense to try to beat the cost of a manufactured unit. I'd probably be using new 1/4" steel for the box, but then the cost of scarifers, 3ph angles, pins, etc..etc.....? Does it make sense to build? Scotty

/ Box Blade Build Questions #2  
Hello
Although it it a very doable project but I'm not sure how much you will save at the end.
A lot will depend on your welding and fab skills.
Don't forget the 2 blades, 1 front and 1 back and associated hardware.
Do you have a good supply for metal and a way to do the cutting?
You will pay a premium for less than full sheet and full bar stock.
I would make a trip to an equipment dealer with a tape measure and sketch pad to start.
Good luck with the project.

/ Box Blade Build Questions #3  
I was thinking of building a 48" bb, but came to the conclusion that I'd have close or equal the cost of a brand new one just in materials, not counting any scrap or leftovers:
~300lbs of steel (1/4" plate, 4" angle, 3" square tube and some 3/8" x 2 flatbar) at approx. $0.75/lb
Ripper shanks with hardened teeth - $30 ea x 4
Cutting edges - 48" at $?? x 2 (probably $50 ea)
Pins for 3pt mount - $15
Bolts and hardware - $15
Materials estimate total ~$475, not including welding wire, paint, grinding wheels, cut charges, etc.

New 48" United can be had for $515

'course it'd be different if I had a big scrap pile to pick from, but I don't. I could leave out the cutting edges and make it a bit lighter, but that's not really what I want. I'm holding out for a good used one to come along.

/ Box Blade Build Questions
There being no further comments, I'll take this as a "No", don't bother, a home built? ~Scotty

/ Box Blade Build Questions #5  
Buy used all day for $200.00 to $250.00 save your money and time.

/ Box Blade Build Questions #6  
A lot of things to consider. Can you roll the steel for the moldboards? Are you trying to duplicate a $500 box or a $3600 box blade? Do you have all the tools that it will take to make it properly, or will you need to rent, barrow or pay someone else to do parts of it? Have you considered used? I have seen $2500-$3000 box blades in very good condition for $500-$800. Your not going to build a good box for that money.

In general for most people, I would say that it is better to buy one. ;)

/ Box Blade Build Questions #7  
Scotty,

I built a rollover, so I can say that definitely it is possible. If you have a desire to do it and like doing such things, then I say go ahead. It is really not all that difficult, but requires time. I made mine from looking at pictures and I made a rough sketch that more or less guided my finished project. If I can be of help in the process, just ask. Pictures of Brian's rollover is what made me decide to make a rollover rather than a regular box, plus the thought of climbing on and off the tractor every time I wanted to raise or lower the scarifiers. Link to my project is in signature.

Mike

/ Box Blade Build Questions #8  
Usually, home made only pays off if you have a supply of cheap used steel to re-use, if you have a retired piece of machinery which you can partially re-use in your project, or if your requirements beyond what the average mass produced product has to offer. If any of the first two requirements are not met, you're wasting time because you wont save money on it.

/ Box Blade Build Questions
Thanks Guys! The other reason I asked, is that scanning Craigslist,I find more ads for "Box-Blade Wanted" than ones for sale! Same is true with a TPH 5-6' disk that I'd like to get a hold of! Guess I'm in the wrong part of the country for this used stuff and going to have to 'bite the bullet', and buy new. Again, thanks for the input! ~Scotty

/ Box Blade Build Questions #10  
Thanks Guys! The other reason I asked, is that scanning Craigslist,I find more ads for "Box-Blade Wanted" than ones for sale! Same is true with a TPH 5-6' disk that I'd like to get a hold of! Guess I'm in the wrong part of the country for this used stuff and going to have to 'bite the bullet', and buy new. Again, thanks for the input! ~Scotty

Same thing here. I looked and looked for a BB and a 6' disk. Took me 7 years to get the disk and its in bad shape but I go it for scrap price of only $30. The BB is still a no go.

Chris