Snow box blade for snow

/ box blade for snow #1  

jonsstihl

Veteran Member
I just tried out clearing snow with my rear box blade and it really doesn't work that well. I clear with a b7800 and a loader and it works ok but takes a while but with the box blade on the back I can't put the bucket down on float and steer at the same time. to be fair though I didn't try to push the snow in reverse.

my dealer just called and said my puma 64 is in and I hope it won't be the same with the blower. I was hoping to clear the light snow falls with the bucket and blow the pile but I guess I will be using the blower more often.

/ box blade for snow #2  
I used a box blade and FEL on my BX2350 last year and it worked ok. I thought the blade did a good job of pushing the snow. This year, however, I bought a front blade and rear blower. It's taking a while to get used to but I think I'll like it.

/ box blade for snow #3  
I used a box blade for a few months last year before I found a used rear blade on Craigslist. It worked quite well pushing it in reverse. Granted, my driveway is paved and I was careful to not run into any fixed objects when pushing, lest I damage 3 pt control arms. Obviously not as good as a read blade or better yet snowblower, but it can get the job done in a pinch.

/ box blade for snow #4  
I moved out to the acreage just a couple years ago. The first year I tried to use a box blade, did a nice job grading but once it was full it was hard to move the snow away. I ended up with little piles every so often which was a bigger problem - it caught the snow and drifted in. I eventually received my blower and have never tried the blade since.

/ box blade for snow #5  
For what its worth, I have had good results using my 7' Bush Hog rear blade for snow plowing. I started out driving forward with the blade reversed so that I didn't dig up the gravel driveway. It worked ok but didn't scrape down to the gravel. Lately, I turned the blade around and shortened the top link so that the blade doesn't dig in. So far it seems to be working fine. I cleans right down to the gravel. I was able to plow the recent 12" snow fall off of my very steep half mile long driveway with no problem.