Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information

/ Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information #11  
Weight is your friend with all land engagement implements. Get the heavier box blade. Lighter implements will not perform as well and can "crumple" when faced with an immovable object.

/ Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information #12  
You’re probably going to run into an availability problem with the heavier one.

I ran into that when buying a landscape rake for my 40hp Kioti CK4010. Ended up with a Kioti branded /Woods manufactured medium duty rake only rated for , I think, 30 hp.

I needed it for the summer, though, and couldn’t wait the 12 to 16 weeks everyone was quoting for a more capable rake.

Worked fine this summer, and I doubt I will care in twenty years.

Not many 90 year olds use their tractors regularly...

Besides, the dealer said he will buy it back if I bust it up. Wonder how long that offer is good for?.

/ Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information #13  
Hey All,

I'm waiting on my L4060le to be assembled by the dealership. Among the implements I've ordered is a box blade. The dealer built it with the Land Pride BB1272. After looking into it, Land Pride shows it's rated for tractors up to 30hp. so I emailed Land Pride and they said they would not recommend that for my tractor but would recommend the BB1572 instead as it is a thicker gauge steel. Dealer says they have guys running the 1272 on MX series tractors (over 50hp) with no problems. So...who do I believe. Seems like the dealer may be trying to sell what they have rather than the right tool for the job. But maybe not. Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance
If I had a choice, I would rather the 1572. That is only because of the weight. I understand your concern. I had the same concern. the 1272 is rated up to 30hp. HOWEVER, they say it is matched to the BX, B, LX, and L series. My tractor - L4701. Also, on the Kubota website, it says the BB15 is 40 hp, but matches it with B, LX, and L series. Interesting.
I also have the BB1272. I use it a lot on the road. It is very tough and over the last 4 years, it has had a lot of use with no problems. But I do not use the tines a lot. There is too much rock here for that. Still, even though they are both good, I like the extra weight of the BB15. That is be best place for rear ballast to add even with liquid filled tires.
Best Wishes, Larry

/ Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information #14  
You’re probably going to run into an availability problem with the heavier one.

I ran into that when buying a landscape rake for my 40hp Kioti CK4010. Ended up with a Kioti branded /Woods manufactured medium duty rake only rated for , I think, 30 hp.

I needed it for the summer, though, and couldn’t wait the 12 to 16 weeks everyone was quoting for a more capable rake.

Worked fine this summer, and I doubt I will care in twenty years.

Not many 90 year olds use their tractors regularly...

Besides, the dealer said he will buy it back if I bust it up. Wonder how long that offer is good for?.
That seems to me like an out the door offer.
Once you are out the door the offer is no longer valid!

/ Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information #15  
Generally I figure a box blade ought to be able to hit a rock or stump off center and stop the tractor without any fear of bending the box blade. That means it is built strong enough. You can always add weight, but can't subtract it.

I'd say it sort of depends on what your soil is like, and what you plan to do with the box blade.

More weight usually means it is the same box but built with thicker metal - which you must have if you are in rocky or tough soil.
If the jobs you are doing are gardening in soft soft loam without many rocks..... or you have fine sand like Jeff does.... then the lightweight box blade will probably do OK.

I'd tell the dealer my fears and get a promise to take the lighter one back if it is damaged in the first couple of years of use. Box blades typically last about a zillion years. Old used ones work about the same as new ones.

rScotty

/ Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information #16  
If its not in writing its a figment of your imagination
Seeing is believing!

willy

/ Box Blade Purchase - Conflicting information #17  
I have an ancient 72" or 74" Gannon box blade behind my L4060hstc. Loaded R4s & loader. The Gannon is heavy, probably pushing 1,000lbs. I can stall the tractor (traction wise) without to much effort filling the box full or taking a deep cut into hard ground.

For a box blade the heavier the better. Weight us a good proxy for strength, they aren't complex. Weight also is downpressure & cutting force. If you have hard ground you need heavy to dig in & heavy to hold up to the abuse.

No matter what you get a hydraulic toplink is your best friend when learning or using a box blade.

Heavy also makes for a more effective ballast when using the loader.