Box scraping and draft control

/ Box scraping and draft control #1  

RoyKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
M7060HSC/18, RTV-X1100C
Today was first day with my new driver and a box scraper on my m7060. It was drive way repair, one of my rain runoff spots had gotten lower, than the area it was supposed to drain too, held water and the dually deliver trucks had made it into a mess.

So I had him mount the box blade with all the sod busters fully extended and back into the drain area, tilt the box forward with T&T and rip all roots out from the trees out of the drain area and across the drive and deposit them on the far side of the driveway. about four passes. Then I explained we would now dig out of the drain area and drop dirt in the hole in the driveway. Using draft control to control the blade. We moved the sod busters up about three holes flush with sides of the box. However we couldn't get draft control working, either digging or skimming. Then I remember to set the top link to the most sensitive control 3rd hole. Now with position control in float and his hand on the draft lever, he could fill the box while digging in the drain area, then as he crossed the driveway release the dirt.

After we moved enough dirt, showed him how to collect the roots and flatten the dirt like it had been raked.

Take the two outer most sod busters out, and use the pins to hold my heavy drag chain about 3.5 inch links about 25 feet long looped under the blade at both ends. Tilt the box back and leave it on float and just drive all over the areas we had tore up. The roots collect in the box on the sod busters and chain flattens all the dirt and it doesn't even tear up the up sod we it not disturbed. On each pass when you get to the end raise the box and drop the roots, later pickup with FEL bucket and dump in the woods, or burn your choices, dirt is all off them.

/ Box scraping and draft control #2  
Draft control can be great when you learn how to set it. Sounds like you did well.