box scrapper v disks

/ box scrapper v disks #1  

Huckster

Bronze Member
I have a Motocross practice track on my property that is clay based with about 8in of top soil. Right now its like riding on concrete. My question is what would be better to turn up the clay with? A set of disks or a 6ft box blade? I have a 2535 century to pull it with. Both implements are about the same price (Tractor supply co) but I would like to get a few opinions on which would work better before I spend the $500+.

/ box scrapper v disks #2  
Just yesterday I was digging in some clay with my BB, I was amazed at the size of some of the clods were.
A disk will cut up the ground much better than a BB scarfers, you will have large potentially dangerous clods for motorcycle tires.

/ box scrapper v disks #3  
My opinion is you are going to need both. While it is true that the disc will give you the consistency you are going to need for a good riding surface, the size of disc that your tractor can pull is not heavy enough to penetrate hard-pack. You might get away with it if you wait until the soil is very damp and then load a bunch of extra weight onto the disc frame to force it into the soil, but that doesn't always work either. You need something to break through the surface and loosen the soil, then you can disc it to make it smooth. The tines on the box scraper are designed to do just that.

If you can't afford both right now, you may be able to buy the disc now and also get a ripper shank cheap and use that to break up the soil, but it will require many, many trips around the track to do so.

You might also want to think about getting some coarse sand brought out to the track to mix in with the clay, especially in the turns. You can use the disc to do this. The sand will help keep the clay from setting up so hard.

/ box scrapper v disks
Thanks for the input. I have spreading a ton of mulch in the turns and it seems to work. I just need to turn up the straight aways so that they are not concrete like. I dont want the track freeway smooth, but I also dont want it to be so hard.

I am going to TSC to check out some disc and BB. Are the brands they sell decent?

/ box scrapper v disks #5  
Huckster -

I've been looking at the TSC discs (made by King Kutter) for a while comparing them to others. They have a couple of units for the SCUT that are made of angle iron rather than box tube steel, so for the money, it appears to be ok for a "light duty" unit. The prices on the two units just went up, so the "value" is a little less.

The biggest complaint I have seen is the angle iron frames have a tendancy to bend and flex under more stressful conditions, setting you up for some repair work later. Sounds like you have some hard soil to work with but if you disced afer a rain, should probably be fine.

There have been a few replies about the angle iron discs in general on here, so you might do some searching and find more info.

I'm still debating on buying vs fab'ing mine.

Jim

/ box scrapper v disks #6  
Huckster said:
Thanks for the input. I have spreading a ton of mulch in the turns and it seems to work. I just need to turn up the straight aways so that they are not concrete like. I dont want the track freeway smooth, but I also dont want it to be so hard.

I am going to TSC to check out some disc and BB. Are the brands they sell decent?

I can't tell where you are from by your signature, but, if you are rural at all, look around for an old pull type, single gang, adjustable disc. If you find one, it can probably be bought for less than $100. It will work great on your track. I have an old 8 ft tandem pull type I use on mine that I bought years ago for $25. My Son has a 10ft single gang pull type he uses that he bought last year for $75. both work great.

Then take the rest of your money and buy a good Box Blade for reshaping the jumps, berms, etc.