Boy has this been a Major project !!

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #1  

tstex

Gold Member
Tractor
1997 Kubota M5400S
Hello to all,

Our freezer door popped open bc I had put a huge brisket in there and placed it diagonally. We went out of town Thurs evening and found the freezer door popped open Sat morning and a trail blood, xxxx and more xxxx that had come out from the thawed things in there. There were some redfish in there too, along w tons of meat and other.

Have pulled everything out, washed it down w vinegar, baking soda and bleach. Have had a package of baking soda on each shelf for a week....still smells like rotten xxxx. The smell from the freezer had also permeated the refridge bc that's where the cold air blows.

I pulled unit out, cleaned under the unit [tile]. I just pulled the evap coil drip pan, washed it out w bleach. if you took water and very slowly poured it out [small, sm trickle] to emulate meat thawing and dripping, we did that and followed the trail and cleaned all of that too. This happened two weeks ago this saturday and it still smells. It's better, but now anywhere near normal.

Looking for solutions where you or someone you know had a similar problem and eradicated the smell? My family and I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

Thank you !

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #3  
Stuff crumbled newspapers (remember them ?) in both (all) compartments. Let them stay for 3-4 days and remove. Then spray with Zorb-X (available Lowe's)

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #4  
If you have adequate refrigerator space unplug that one, leave doors open, and let it air out for a week or two. Putting a fan in front will help circulate air. Option two is to put it in the garage for a beer fridge and buy a new one for the house. A chest type deep freeze might be a good investment, too.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Boy has this been a Major project !!
Thanks Have Tractor...I'll try it...I hope not Bill. Road, this is a second refridge and there is NO room in garage...

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #7  
I have had good luck with eradicating bad smells using Odoban. I swear by it.

We had a mouse infestation in some exterior walls. The nest (and feces) had stained the exterior sheeting, and when the wall was opened up the smell was unbearable. It had worked into the wood.

Bleach, cleaning solutions, etc. did nothing to alleviate the stench. We sprayed it down twice with Odoban (following instructions for the appropriate mixing ratio), letting it dry well in between. It completely eradicated the smell.

I've been told Odoban (or something similar) is what's used in Hospitals to disinfect and get rid of biological smells.

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #8  
   / Boy has this been a Major project !!