Boy has this been a Major project !!

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #21  
Hydrogen Peroxide works well on all biological material. DO NOT MIX peroxide and bleach as pure oxygen is produced and an explosion could result.

If you can get to the condenser coil and vacuum away the lint and dust that build up over time; this material may have absorbed odor.

Wear gloves if you choose to try the hydrogen peroxide.

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #22  
I have to+1 on a new fridge if there was chicken in there..

I've had this happen to me once, and a few times with friends. Insulation in the fridge will absorb the smell. Chix that has thawed and spoiled for a number of days does not come out, charcoal, newspapers, bleach etc etc etc.
I hope there was no chix...
Yeah, this is the problem, the liquid has soaked into the insulation. And it spoiled. Now it stinks and will continue to stink. So either the insulation needs to be replaced or some sort of odor eliminating liquid must also be allowed to soak into the insulation. I have faced this problem before. It would have required removing the plastic interior of the freezer in order to get at the insulation behind the plastic. I decided to get rid of the freezer. I feel for you. But maybe you can get lucky and not too much liquid leaked through the seams and some sort of stuff already recommended can be used that will also leak into the same seams and kill the odor permanently. Whatever you use must also kill bacteria and continue to kill it because this is what is causing the smell.
Eric

/ Boy has this been a Major project !!
I have to+1 on a new fridge if there was chicken in there..

I've had this happen to me once, and a few times with friends. Insulation in the fridge will absorb the smell. Chix that has thawed and spoiled for a number of days does not come out, charcoal, newspapers, bleach etc etc etc.
I hope there was no chix...
The good news this that only one day max the foods thawed...I cannot swear that ckn was in there, but how many freezes don't have some frozen ckn...it was prob only ckn breasts w little to no fat...it's the fat that really smells when it goes bad...

thank you to all...I agree that we prob need to pull everything and air it out at ambient temps...it's when the temps rise that [chem] reactions take place more vigorously...I will keep everyone posted

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #25  
Many, many years ago, a neighbor (and good friend) across the alley behind us, came over one Saturday and borrowed the little air compressor I had at the time, rolled it across the alley to his garage and aired up all the tires on his two daughert's bicycles. Then he brought the compressor back. The next day they left for a one week vacation trip. The following week, after they got back, and he had gone to work (big bank vice president), she went out and found that he had unplugged the chest type freezer in the garage to use that outlet to air up the kid's bicycle tires with my compressor, brought the compressor home, AND FORGOT to plug the freezer back in.

When she opened the freezer door, it smelled so bad that she went in and called him to come home from work right then. He went home, opened the freezer door, slammed it, ran out back and puked in the backyard. They moved the freezer out into the yard, and she (mostly) finally got everything out of it and into garbage bags, which he hauled off somewhere. They left that freezer sitting outside for more than a week, and tried all the things mentioned in this thread, and finally moved that freezer out for the garbage men to haul off.

Now all this took place in the hot Texas summer time, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Yes sir, I can relate to that too.

I had a the largest Chest Deep Freezer [Kenmore] in my country garage. Bought it in 1999 and by 2020, knowing it was 21 yrs old and I did not live there, I better get a replacement plan. I looked at all diff types and was ready to buy a local make/model when I was called out for work...about 2.5 weeks later, I came back to the ranch. The ranch house/garage/etc is about 1/3 mile from the main rd. As I was driving up on the gravel road, I was wondering why there were 20-25 buzzards on top of my garage. Before I even came near to the garage, I had to turn-off my AC...yes it was hot and yes the compressor died. It was full of all types of meats, poultry, fish and other.

I did not even attempt to open and put was much duct tape I could to secure the door from opening, which was unlikely w gravity and an Chest Freezer. It was on a cement floor, no wheels and on the side farthest from the garage door. I found as many unscrewable round broom handles and rolled it out Egyptian style. Used 2 lg chains and put them over my ft-end-loader and drove off, very, very slowing [now you know why I duct-taped it.

I made sure the unit was down wind and when I put it in reverse, there were no obstructions. I used my front end loader and tipped it over and the brown/black fluids came pouring out...I cannot give you a very good description bc I was going back wide open throttle and looking out for trees. I came back 2-3 weeks later and the grasses/etc where dead where the main funk went...A lot of the meat packages were not even opened bc nothing could stand to get near that, much less eat it, not even buzzards. I waited for about 5-6 months until it was in the low 30's to go up closely...I pushed all of what remained into a pile and burned it...I cannot even imagine what forensic CSI go thru when examining bodies that have been inside a house for weeks before discovery.

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #27  
Yes sir, I can relate to that too.

I had a the largest Chest Deep Freezer [Kenmore] in my country garage. Bought it in 1999 and by 2020, knowing it was 21 yrs old and I did not live there, I better get a replacement plan. I looked at all diff types and was ready to buy a local make/model when I was called out for work...about 2.5 weeks later, I came back to the ranch. The ranch house/garage/etc is about 1/3 mile from the main rd. As I was driving up on the gravel road, I was wondering why there were 20-25 buzzards on top of my garage. Before I even came near to the garage, I had to turn-off my AC...yes it was hot and yes the compressor died. It was full of all types of meats, poultry, fish and other.

I did not even attempt to open and put was much duct tape I could to secure the door from opening, which was unlikely w gravity and an Chest Freezer. It was on a cement floor, no wheels and on the side farthest from the garage door. I found as many unscrewable round broom handles and rolled it out Egyptian style. Used 2 lg chains and put them over my ft-end-loader and drove off, very, very slowing [now you know why I duct-taped it.

I made sure the unit was down wind and when I put it in reverse, there were no obstructions. I used my front end loader and tipped it over and the brown/black fluids came pouring out...I cannot give you a very good description bc I was going back wide open throttle and looking out for trees. I came back 2-3 weeks later and the grasses/etc where dead where the main funk went...A lot of the meat packages were not even opened bc nothing could stand to get near that, much less eat it, not even buzzards. I waited for about 5-6 months until it was in the low 30's to go up closely...I pushed all of what remained into a pile and burned it...I cannot even imagine what forensic CSI go thru when examining bodies that have been inside a house for weeks before discovery.
Even without the chix skin/fat, once it spoils it's all rancid smelling.
My first home, I had a freezer that had shleves with freezing units to quick freeze. I had it at least halfway stocked with chix etc. Oil company came to service my boiler, unplugged the freezer so they could plug in vacuum. Never plugged back in. 2 weeks plus later, i opened door and don't know how I didn't puke...

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #28  
So unfortunately we had this happen (a long time ago) back at my parents house with a chest freezer... what a mess. We also had it happen at my FIL house with his freezer in the garage but luckily enough by this time we were vacuum sealing everything that went into the freezer... yes we lost everything but it was all contained do to the vacuum sealed bags....

As a contractor we unfortunately deal with some very "disturbing" odors... so as I said in post #8 use "Use Zorb-x or Anti-Icky-Poo (unscented)... They are both safe for hard surfaces. Just make sure you treat the entire area... Anti-Icky-Poo has great customer service..." We have used these products to correct the unthinkable... really... unthinkable. It is worth a try for the minor investment; just make sure you use the product as intended for the situation.

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #29  
News paper will work as mentioned earlier. Tobacco will help it. Maybe tie a rope around it next time you leave.

/ Boy has this been a Major project !! #30  
Did not read all the replies, but. Did you try running it? Once it freezes and the refridge gets down to temp 35-40, the smell is usually gone