Front-End Loader Bracket Pins Stuck

/ Bracket Pins Stuck #1  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
I have an 8 year old FarmTrac 2740 with a 1040 front-end loader that has never been removed from the tractor. The head of one of the loader bracket bolt snapped off, which apparently is a common problem with this setup, per the FarmTrac forum. In an effort to reach and remove the broken bolt (shown toward the bottom of one of the photos attached) I need to remove the FEL, arms, and brackets. The bucket came off quickly, using the quick hitch pins. Unfortunately the large pins (2) that holds each of the loader arms to the loader brackets are frozen (see photos). I've tried spraying with PB penetrating stuff, then tapping, banging, twisting, tapping, but no luck. Shall I give it a day, spray more, tap more, give it another day and repeat? That is, do repeated sprays with such oil have a cumulative effect? Does it have any effect at all? Any tips or tricks that will help me free these pins? Thanks!

Attachments

• loaderbolt1.jpg
    loaderbolt1.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 219
  • loaderbolt2.JPG
    loaderbolt2.JPG
    628.2 KB · Views: 289
   / Bracket Pins Stuck #2  
Are you sure the pins are not in a bind? If they are bound up by pressure from the FEL, no amount of penetrant will help. You'll have to get them into a position where there's no pressure on them from the FEL.

If they are not bound up, then Kroil is the best penetrant I've found. But you may need multiple applications over a couple of days or more and let it do it's thing. The trick will be getting in into the inner portion.

/ Bracket Pins Stuck
Thanks Pappy. After days of applying penetrating oil and hundreds of hammer strikes with the FEL in various positions, I found a "sweet spot" where I was able to free one of the loader bolts. I will be at it again today. Hopefully I will free the remaining one.

/ Bracket Pins Stuck
pin.jpg
The remaining pin had me stumped until I brought out the big gun, a 5' steel rod. I used the tamping end to ... well ... TAMP. Bash actually.

Lesson learned: pull out loader arm pins and grease periodically.