Brake bands on a Hesston 100 90

/ Brake bands on a Hesston 100 90 #1  

Dead Horse

Platinum Member
I have to do the brake bands on my big Hesston. I am confident I can do this and have the shop and necessary tools.

I do want to have the parts in hand before I start the tear down as I don't want the tractor "on the shelf" for too long. I am having trouble finding a source for the bands and wonder if the old bands can be relined. Anyone have counsel for me on this matter?

he is a big boy, it is gonna be a real adventure!:D

Attachments

• Firewood%202009%20002.jpg
    Firewood%202009%20002.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Firewood%202009%20008.jpg
    Firewood%202009%20008.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 156
   / Brake bands on a Hesston 100 90 #2  
Are you sure those are brake bands, and not disc's..?? What I'm seeing on the New Holland parts site, for the 100-90 are disc's.

/ Brake bands on a Hesston 100 90 #3  
Are you sure those are brake bands, and not disc's..?? What I'm seeing on the New Holland parts site, for the 100-90 are disc's.

DJ54 you are right they are discs on the 90 series and have some fiats over here ( same animal ) with 10k + hours on them and not replaced them. To the OP what makes you think it needs new brakes, I do not want to sound smart but it is very uncommon to replace the discs. I have seen more brake probs come from the wrong brake fluid being used in these machines.

Jon

/ Brake bands on a Hesston 100 90
DJ54 you are right they are discs on the 90 series and have some fiats over here ( same animal ) with 10k + hours on them and not replaced them. To the OP what makes you think it needs new brakes, I do not want to sound smart but it is very uncommon to replace the discs. I have seen more brake probs come from the wrong brake fluid being used in these machines.

Jon

Thanks for replying guys.

I am happy to hear there are still NH guys who have the parts books. My local dealer is not helpful in this regard.

I would not be surprised if the parts are discs and not bands. I was looking at a Hesston diagram which was NOT for the 100 series and it had bands. If they are discs I just need to know that for certain.

I am also surprised that the brakes seem to be an issue as the tractor has just 2600 hours on it however something is going on inside the rear axle case. This is white mountain country and the tractor spend several years towing big apple wagons up and DOWN a mountain. I cannot otherwise explain why brakes would be bad here.

I have been having problems getting the hand brake adjusted so it holds the tractor brakes on tight. (Need to have this as it is a gear tractor that I use with a Farmi winch. I plant the dozer blade and the FEL bucket in the ground, but want the tires to stay planted too.) So I have adjusted the hand brake mechanism as it says in the owners manual (tight at 3 clicks). At that setting I use one hand to set it but have to use both hands to release it!

That was annoying enough but just recently when applying the brake foot pedals there is a distinctive grinding noise that makes me think metal on metal. I even shut the tractor off and let it roll down a slight incline applying the brakes so I could clearly hear the noise....... something definite metal on metal ONLY when applying the brakes. I wonder if I could have pulled a pad off some how. doesn't seem likely.

I would really appreciate your thoughts here Gentlemen. also any chance of getting the NH brake part number references? It would be really helpful to have a copy of the parts diagram, too!

I may just have to open it up to ultimately determine what is going on. In the meantime, I am going to go very easy on the brakes.

/ Brake bands on a Hesston 100 90 #6  
G'day NH part no is 4993585 or if you have a Sparex dealer available to you their part no is S.69926. Good luck with it I did some seals on a 115 90 a little while ago and from memory it wasn't too bad a job, you do need a floor crane or good trolley jack with cradle to lift the axle housings of though.

Jon

/ Brake bands on a Hesston 100 90
In looking at both the brake diagrams...... I see the brake disc in each. However I believe it is the brake pads i need to replace.They seem to be called out in the parking brake diagram and are labeled as 5144692, 5158941 and 5158942.

Anyone ever had one of these apart and can confirm to me there three parts make up the brake pads?