Branson 2910 valve lash anyone know

/ Branson 2910 valve lash anyone know #1  

jamestrade

Tractor
branson 2910
Hello everyone I have an new project.Its a branson 2910. Replaced the head gasket and know I cant find the valve lash specs or the head bolt torque.If anyone knows Please help. Thanks James

/ Branson 2910 valve lash anyone know #2  
Look on the side of the engine for the Mfgr's ID plate. It will give the mfgr (Kukje) then a model number. Tractor Data lists a 2910i (whatever i means) and that it's a Kukje 1.5L 3cyl engine, manufactured from 2005-9. If a Cummins licensed engine it would be something like A1500NA or A1.5 NA.

I don't know if Cummins had licensed Kukje back then. My 2007 engine is built by Komatsu heavy equipment in Japan from the Cummins license. My 2016 engine is built by a Cummins license to Kukje built in S. Korea I guess.

The head bolt torque is easy to find on the www once you know the bolt size. The question is the valve lash numbers......assuming solid lifters.

/ Branson 2910 valve lash anyone know #3  
I just went outside and got my 3.3 engine manual. First thing was a picture of the engine ID plate and on that plate is specified the lash and that it's the cold engine dimension. The spec for the 3.3 is 14 in and 20 out (thousandts).

Head torque is X pattern starting in the center and working out. 1st pass is 50 ft-lbs and second pass is 80.

Again this is for the 3.3L engine not your 1.5L. However, the compression is probably the same so that to me says that the bolts will be the same diameter so the torque would be identical. After all, head bolt torque is to counter the effects of engine compression.

The manual also says that the head bolts can be used 5 times then to be discarded............imagine having your engine long enough to have to do a valve job 5 times....on a diesel with ULS fuel. Amazing. my '63 Ford hasn't had a wrench on the engine proper in it's life!

/ Branson 2910 valve lash anyone know
Hello Texasmark Thanks for the response. The model # is A1400N3. I just guest an set mine on .018 in and out. It runs ok but has a bit of unburned fuel out the muffler and hard to start so I am sure Im off a bit. As for the head bolts I guest again at 90#

/ Branson 2910 valve lash anyone know #5  
That is the Cummins nomenclature. The engine is a Cummins Series A, 1.4 liter design. If it's black it's built under license to someone. May be Kukje or may be somebody like Komatsu. Thing is being Cummins licensed it is built to the reliability for which the Cummins name is famous.

I was wrong on my assumption about head torque after thinking about it for awhile. What I didn't take into account was the area of the cylinder along with the compression ratio. So it's #/square inch x pressure to get head force to control. However Cummins smaller engines are swirl chamber and require 21:1 compression whereby my 3.3 is direct injection running 18:1. So that mitigates to some degree the increased area of the combustion chamber on the 3.3.

However....in retrospect, since you got 90 successfully and have her closed back up and running, you're done.

How did it run prior to the repair? What were the temperature and usage differences between then and now? How long have you run it since your repair? Have you considered "snake oil" chemicals to clean up the combustion chambers and injector spray pattern? I use Power Services which have several different products for different functions and keep my stuff squeaky clean. Sea Foam is another product to keep carbon cleaned out of injectors and piston-cylinder areas.