Branson 3515R - Burning Oil?

/ Branson 3515R - Burning Oil?
He can put the emissions stuff right back on. They might notice the cut and weld on the exhaust pipe, but I doubt if they will give a rip. Most Branson dealers know about the dpf delete and probably don’t care.

I made new flanges and all so it will bolt right back on and look stock. Also both sensors still hooked up, so will be logging exhaust temp and that filter isn’t clogged. I just plugged the differential sensor but actually installed the exhaust temp sensor in exhaust.

/ Branson 3515R - Burning Oil?
Is it oil smoke or diesel smoke? More fuel makes more power but also makes smoke. (check out a video of diesel tractor pulling for an extreme example). Branson may have tuned the pump for more power after realizing that the DPF would mask it.

Also there's a relationship between soot and NOx.... tuning to reduce NOx increases soot and tuning to reduce soot increases NOx. They might be using the DPF to handle the soot of an engine tuned to meet NOx emissions, so they don't have to do EGR.

Unless there's a problem with it I'd just put the DPF back on and run it.

I get where you are going here but wouldn’t the smoke be black and not bluish if it was running rich/burning fuel? I I saw posts of other members that did the dpf delete and did not notice more smoking which leads me to believe my tractor has an underlying issue. But also like I said I’m new to diesels so appreciate any suggestions.

/ Branson 3515R - Burning Oil? #13  
Nick,

First of all, ignore EVERYTHING 5030 said.

None of it applies. He's "frequently wrong, but never in doubt."

For the rest,

I'm wondering if the underlying issue was masked by the filter trapping the blue smoke from the beginning. And yes, blue smoke is oil, not fuel. I don't think this has anything at all to do with your filter delete. If it was blowing black smoke, I'd be inclined to think that maybe there was a fuel adjustment issue, but not blue smoke.

/ Branson 3515R - Burning Oil? #14  
K5 has the right suggestion. I'd run it maybe a little while longer, then just take it in to the dealer and have them check the engine.

I'm thinking this smoking issue is going to be behind the real reason your filter was getting plugged in the first place.

/ Branson 3515R - Burning Oil? #15  
Nick,

First of all, ignore EVERYTHING 5030 said.

None of it applies. He's "frequently wrong, but never in doubt."

For the rest,

I'm wondering if the underlying issue was masked by the filter trapping the blue smoke from the beginning. And yes, blue smoke is oil, not fuel. I don't think this has anything at all to do with your filter delete. If it was blowing black smoke, I'd be inclined to think that maybe there was a fuel adjustment issue, but not blue smoke.
Likewise for you.....

/ Branson 3515R - Burning Oil? #17  
How much seafoam are you using? I know when I used that stuff in my jeep (gas) it smoked quite a bit (blue) until I ran the tank almost to empty and refiled with fresh gas. Just a thought.

/ Branson 3515R - Burning Oil? #18  
If it was mine I'd run it and just keep a close eye on the oil level.
A diesel can have blue/gray smoke from fuel especially if the engine is running a bit cool.
If you get another 15-20 hours on it with no change in the oil level and not having to add oil,
the smoke would not be oil.
As has been mentioned the Branson does not have a ECM, it does have a data logger for the doc.