Branson 4020 Hydraulic Oil, What do I Look For?

/ Branson 4020 Hydraulic Oil, What do I Look For? #1  

Asparky

Tractor
Branson
Have to replace some oil in my Branson 4020. Hard to tell on the sight glass but had a leak on my backhoe
Most of the oils I see online don't really give the specs. Saw some posts on here but cant find them now
The manual I found wasn't really any help. I remember seeing what to look for on here.
Thanks
Ron

/ Branson 4020 Hydraulic Oil, What do I Look For? #2  
main thing is to NOT use 303 fluid, it's for old pre-1970's or so tractors. otherwise the relatively cheap tractor supply branded fluid works. I would suggest to put some in to get you back to the garage, then drain it and replace it with a suitable fluid if needed.

20-series fluids.jpg

/ Branson 4020 Hydraulic Oil, What do I Look For?
I saw the chevron and Texaco oil in the pic. No Tractor supply around here. I cant tell how much I need By the sight glass. looks oily inside and I see in posts it hard to tell if you put to much in. I have a cut in my hydrophilic line that goes to the top vertical hydrophilic unit on the boom of my backhoe. Thinking it might be a return line as my outriggers are still up. Don't know the ramification of that if its a return line. Need a splice kit for that. I had a spare but it turned out to be for the ends. Nothing is going right. Might just fill the fluid up and move it.
Thanks for the reply.. I seem to be spinning my wheels! and getting nothing done!
Ron

/ Branson 4020 Hydraulic Oil, What do I Look For? #4  
See your other thread for oil recommendations.

The BH's outriggers are independent of the boom cylinder. A leaky hydraulic hose to the boom cylinder should not affect the outrigger's motion. If the outriggers are not moving, something else is also wrong.

Other than being run through the boom, the hose should be easy to replace. Make sure the bucket is fully on the ground and securely holding the weight of the boom, or the boom is locked into travel position, when you remove the top hose to the boom cylinder because that's what's holding it up. You would not want it landing on you. The BH uses the common JIC connectors so you can get a hose at any hydraulics store.

/ Branson 4020 Hydraulic Oil, What do I Look For?
Thanks for the reply ericm979 I didn't know/ thought of the Independence of the different functions.

/ Branson 4020 Hydraulic Oil, What do I Look For? #6  
When I look for a hydraulic/transmission fluid two of the specs that I most closely check out are the IH hytran (Case MS 1206, MS 1207, HY-TRAN ULTRA) and JD "C" or "D" specs.
If the fluid is from a major manufacture and is labeled to meet or exceed the specs for these oils especially the hy tran ultra I have no issue with using it.
If you are a green user the JD "C" or "D" is the spec to meet or exceed.