branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix

/ branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix #21  
It was difficult to tell but I think it was leaking out of the body.

/ branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix #22  
It was difficult to tell but I think it was leaking out of the body.
That's usually what happens with those steering cylinders.

Since the barrel is kind of floating between the ends of the cylinder, it will move over time and eventually cause damage to the o-ring. Branson fixed it by adding the tie-rod that keeps everything tight.

If take the cylinder apart, you can fix it with a new o-ring and have a spare for something.

/ branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix #23  
Thanks for the write up @Aquamoose , I’m getting ready to do this repair myself. Mine’s has a small leak for years that suddenly got much bigger.

/ branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix #24  
Thanks for the write up @Aquamoose , I’m getting ready to do this repair myself. Mine’s has a small leak for years that suddenly got much bigger.

If you were local, I wouldn’t mind giving you a hand! As long as the tractor is adequately supported with HD jack stands and you use temporary longer bolts to only drop the axle a few inches, it should go smoothly.

/ branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix #25  
If you were local, I wouldn’t mind giving you a hand! As long as the tractor is adequately supported with HD jack stands and you use temporary longer bolts to only drop the axle a few inches, it should go smoothly.
You don't happen to know the size and length of the longer temp bolts, do you?

/ branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix #26  
You don't happen to know the size and length of the longer temp bolts, do you?

I think 3/4”. I simply removed one and went to the hardware store to pick two that were at least 6” longer than the original.

/ branson 4720H leaking steering any one every had that issue ? how to fix #27  
Well, I finished replacing my leaking steering assembly over the last couple of days, using @Aquamoose as my guide. I did not disconnect the front axle drive shaft at all, although I did slide the shaft cover back and expose the roll pin just in case. The tip about using long bolts to keep the front axle aligned throughout the process worked like a champ. I stupidly didn't recognize that the joint between the tie rod and the steering cylinder is reverse threaded on one end which made for an interesting two-hour swearfest before my youngest son pointed out the obvious (I'm fascinated how human habits become so deeply ingrained in us.)

The long bolts that hold the axle on are M16, which you probably won't find at Lowes or Home Depot unless yours is stocked better than mine. I used these:

Last edited: