Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #81  
Cruise control didn't work as the switches for the brakes were always on. They are now disconnected so cruise works.

I guess when I read it this time you could misunderstand my entry.
I have not disconnected the brakes . I have disconnected the sensor for the brakes to turn off the cruise control when brake pedals are pressed. So I did get the stub axle repaired today.
The original seal and sleeve are no longer available but Branson has a new piece that combines both together.
$65 with tax Canadian.

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #82  
The original seal and sleeve are no longer available but Branson has a new piece that combines both together.
$65 with tax Canadian.

Glad you could buy the parts for relatively cheap. How long did the repair take?

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #83  
IF ONLY THE STUB AXLE IS BROKEN AND NOT THE SEAL ALSO THEN ITS ABOUT A 30 minute fix but if the seal is gone its the last piece to come out of the housing . I didnt have a press so I used a hammer and other stuff to get the large gear out of the bearing.
After I replaced the seal and hammered the crap out of the gear to get it back in I noticed the retainer clip on the bench that goes in before the gear . So back to hammering to get it back out.
So less then 2 hrs to get it back to the road.
With a press would be maybe an hour.

Total cost was $520 but I have a new seal and stub axle as a spare and 2 x 4 hrs travel time.

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #84  
IF ONLY THE STUB AXLE IS BROKEN AND NOT THE SEAL ALSO THEN ITS ABOUT A 30 minute fix but if the seal is gone its the last piece to come out of the housing . I didnt have a press so I used a hammer and other stuff to get the large gear out of the bearing.
After I replaced the seal and hammered the crap out of the gear to get it back in I noticed the retainer clip on the bench that goes in before the gear . So back to hammering to get it back out.
So less then 2 hrs to get it back to the road.
With a press would be maybe an hour.

Total cost was $520 but I have a new seal and stub axle as a spare and 2 x 4 hrs travel time.

Good job, good post. Thanks.

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #85  
I have not disconnected the brakes . I have disconnected the sensor for the brakes to turn off the cruise control when brake pedals are pressed.

That’s a recipe for disaster. You’d WANT the cruise control to disengage the moment you step on the brake (disconnects when brake lights come on)

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #86  
I have a bramson 4720h and my front axle seal went out and I ordered parts to replace it . there are groves in the housing can I use a stone or sand paper to smooth it out .

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #87  
now that's impressive your reassuring me I bought a good tractor

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #88  
did you have shims to replace to . I had 6 and there are 3 a and 3 b any special order they have to go in . I'm retired and try to save by doing all my repair work . I tried to buy a parts manual but dealer told me no . I just wanted it to make sure I get the right parts.

/ Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #89  
Hello

I am in need of help and advice from Branson operators.

Similar to BumpandNan on the "Branson Warranty Troubles" thread I have experienced a front axle break failure this past fall. The difference is that this is an out of warranty failure, my tractor is a 2009 3510H model. With it, the wheel assembly came clean off with no warning. Please see pictures attached. While I am not seeking warranty I am quite concerned that this type of failure represents a safety issue which should be the subject of a competent investigation and corrective action as found necessary. I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has experienced such a failure. Please share with me your experiences and concerns in this thread or by private email.

I believe this investigation should look into the manufacturing process of the axle, is it made of two pieces welded together? or, is it a single piece construction? I have concerns that this may have been a bad friction weld that has failed. So far Branson Tractor considers this failure closed because it is out of warranty.

I think that a failure investigation of this nature should be led by Kukje Machinery who are the designers and manufacturers of the product. They are the experts who would have the most knowledge and understanding of the axle manufacturing processes and the corresponding failure modes of the axle.

My tractor, as indeed are many tractors of this type, is often used on a public highway and on roadways, failure at such a time could lead to catastrophic results or on a side hill turn for that matter. In my case the wheel came off while turning over a compost pile. Hardly an excessive load. This leaves me with an uncertainty considering the LH front wheel axle which had not failed but which is of the same age in hours and calendar time as the axle that failed.

For those that are interested, I have attached some pictures of the tractor and wheel axle as failed. The wheel lies on the ground as it came to rest after departing the tractor.

View attachment 498382View attachment 498383View attachment 498384View attachment 498385View attachment 498386
Hi Cliff.

I bought a new 2012 Branson 4520R in 2013, Branson replaced the complete front axle under warranty in 2014 with a new 2014 axle. The tractor had maybe 300 hours when all the 6 or 8, #8 bolts came out of the 4 wheel drive in the front axle and grenaded everything.

Two weeks after the installation of the new axle the seals started to leak. I had to replace the seals and my own cost. Branson wouldn't help with anything with the seals.

It wasn't long after that that the bearings went in the right hand side again I had to replace seals. Of course then the left side went same thing. I have repeated the same hunting task all of these years right into 2021. I think I have replaced the either the seals, or bearings or both at least 5 times now.

Today Aug 2021 the left axle broke completely off. This happened when backing up with no load.

The heaviest thing this tractor has lifted is 4 x 5 round bales of wrapped haylage. I've used it for stove wood. I've used it for not too large cedar and pine logs bring in the moat I'm putting them on the wagon or on the sawmill.

In my humble opinion I think the turning radius is to sharpen these tractors and also I think the loader is design for lifting heavier loads than these axles can sustain.

I will try and attach a couple of pictures of my issue. I contacted Branson of course and their answer is sorry sir there's no way we can help you. I think this problem is more common than you think and I know there are naysayers out there who say it isn't a big problem but I think it should be addressed and if enough of us get together maybe they will recognize there is a problem.
I have no idea how much a new axle is but I talked to a dealership who got a tractor from Canada Customs it was confiscated and the motor removed because it didn't pass Canadian emissions.

I can get this axle for $4,000 Canadian which I think is a lot but I have no choice. Maybe somebody else can point me to a cheaper axle.

Attachments

• 20210810_133727.jpg
    20210810_133727.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 130
  • 20210810_150114_HDR.jpg
    20210810_150114_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
   / Branson Front Wheel Axle Failures #90  
@guitarman59, I would take the axle to a good machine shop and ask them to build one. With the issues you have seen, maybe have two built.

Just out of curiosity, what type of terrain do you have? Lots of hills? Also, do you run in 4WD most of the time?

Something you do needs to be modified because of all the front end problems you are seeing. If you think the turning radius is too short, you can adjust the stops so it is less. If the loader lifts too much, you can adjust the pressure relief to a lower pressure setting on your loader valve.